Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you know if those fuel tank restoration kits actually work, or if it is better to have someone else restore my fuel tank?
-Levi

·
8,453 Posts
I've restored several tanks. The kits work but sometimes yoou need to do a little assist. If the rust buildup in the tank is a lot, dump some roofing tacks in it and vigorously shake them with some stong cleaner to dislodge the loose stuff. Once you get clean water from this procedure, go with the rest of the kit's directions. The real key to these kits is the rubber lining.

·
Registered
15 Posts
the tack ideal is a good one we used a chain to break loose all the crude in the tank but it was a real pain to fish out

·
Registered
181 Posts
A handfull of good sized gravel will work better than the tacks, heavier, and probably cheaper too!
Just my 1 cent's worth. (Too cheap to use 2 cents) :p
M.F.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I used a two part epoxy to coat the inside of my homebuilt tank for my 23 T-Bucket, to keep in from rusting. Will look up the suppliet if you want it.
M.F. :D

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
:D Spook, I had the tank for my 48 Chevy cleaned out at a radiator shop at a cost of $110. For me it was well worth the cost because I didn't have to do the nasty heavy work. it came out just like a brand new tank.

lol AL

·
Returning American Maddman
444 Posts
I've used Eastwood tank stuff on a 53 Chebbie with no worries. I can't help it, I like thier products and never had a problem with them.
I used a chain that time as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts