Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight at 6pm pst. on the History Channel. Upgrades claimed near 400hp. Check it out and post what you think of the episode.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i never liked it, i watched the last two eppisodes. those goobers used to host supr2nr TV:rolleyes: . the only reason i could pu tup w/ it was for the bikini contests!!

:thumbup: ;) :evil: :D

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's amazing when hot rodders rag on hot rodders. The show is cool. It mentioned alot of history about the vehicles and there was drag racing at the strip to prove the performance modifications. The El camino whooped the Ranchero with less cubic inches. I don't understand why people complain about the show. There's no claim to fame. Just fun competition. It's called Hot Rodding. I've been doing it for 20 years and the show was very entertaining. Lighten up.:rolleyes:

Who cares if these guys hosted Supr2nr TV. Hot Rodding is for everybody with a car and money. It's not rocket science .

·
Move It On Over!
227 Posts
My first ride was a '71 Ranchero GT. It was nice, fun to drive and kinda cool. It has a 302 in it, PS,PB, A/C, AM/FM. It was no match for anything. Wish I still had it sometimes, but it's probably been recycled by now.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
fourbyfourblazer said:
It's amazing when hot rodders rag on hot rodders. The show is cool. It mentioned alot of history about the vehicles and there was drag racing at the strip to prove the performance modifications. The El camino whooped the Ranchero with less cubic inches. I don't understand why people complain about the show. There's no claim to fame. Just fun competition. It's called Hot Rodding. I've been doing it for 20 years and the show was very entertaining. Lighten up.:rolleyes:

Who cares if these guys hosted Supr2nr TV. Hot Rodding is for everybody with a car and money. It's not rocket science .
lol, amen brotha

K

·
Registered
279 Posts
I watched about half of it. I stopped watching when the ford guys dicovered that they had sheared off the vacuum fitting on the modulator and one of the twins told them it would never shift out of first gear.
I guess I am getting tired of the typical reality show formula. Impending deadline, inane comments on the progress, near disaster problem, problem solved and then the finish(reveal, race whatever). I liked the the old junkyard wars the best.

John

·
I wanted an egg-salad sandwich
266 Posts
I watched the last half of it... Those supr2nr brothers have always annoyed me. I thought that they put "identical" crate engines in the cars? Am I wrong on that?

The El Camino won, but it seemed that it was due to driving abilty and not the cars... The first race the camino redlighted, the second was a dead heat, and the 3rd the ranchero spun the tires.... it seems to me it could have gone either way, I would have like to see the same match up with the drivers switched!

As a ranchero owner, yeah I have a little "pride" in my ford heritage, but the only reason I dont have an el camino is because they cost more!! I think a little "rivalry" between manufacturers is cool, but I think most of us have like and dislikes with all the makes. My dad has a 56 F100 we always joke that its "Built Ford Tough, with GM stuff" and indeed am I am doing the same, I have a GM one wire alternator in my "ford" now... its not a loyalty thing, it just works better! Me personally I'd like to drive my car more than I work on it!!

Id like to see more match ups like that but use original engines and equally matched drivers, make it a true competition of the car, and not the drivers ability!!

the one thing I dont get is why is that show on the "history" channel?? I guess that proves how far the hot rod trend is spreading on TV!!

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Here is what i will never understand!
If your a hotrodder how can you say piss on anything?
I have owned them all and right now Ford heavy but there is not a Chevy, cuda or an AMC that I would not love.
Next year may be Chevy heavy, who knows.

Beats me with this child picture crap.

Probably insulted half the board.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was lookin' forward to it but was severely disappointed in the Ford build... First, they kept callin' it a 400M, which drove me insane:boxing: . Any self respectin' Ford fan knows its the 400 and the 351M. And why they'd use a 400 vs. a well built SBC stroker is beyond me, the aftermarket for the 400 is virtually nil. Couple the mild 400 (looked like a Performer intake, which means it was almost definitely a 2V headed motor) with a power hog C6+stockish converter and a pegleg rear and its a recipe for a slug. They'd been better off with a 351 W or C stroker vs. the 383 IMO.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
BarryK said:
Here is what i will never understand!
If your a hotrodder how can you say piss on anything?
I have owned them all and right now Ford heavy but there is not a Chevy, cuda or an AMC that I would not love.
Next year may be Chevy heavy, who knows.

Beats me with this child picture crap.

Probably insulted half the board.
If half the board was insulted by that picture, half the board can take a walk.

That El Camino pissed all over that Ranchero.

I was poking fun at the Ford guys since the Ford lost the race. I like Fords. Christ.

You live in Georgia, guys probably have those Calvin stickers all over their trucks down there.

·
Chopper Builder o<>\o
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The fun of it is that whatever happens they just show it on the program. Doesn't appear to be scripted. I was surprised they let the two vehicles do donuts at the drag strip since there is a law at most drag strips that prohibits that. I'm definitly not a ford fan but I did like hearing the history on the Ford as well as one of my favorites "Chevy El Camino". I do feel they should of had Ford guys working on the Ranchero so both cars could get equal respect. For people that don't know anything about cars it gets them interested and makes hot rodding more popular. Weekend warriors will be lining up for MSD, Holley, GM Crate motors, etc., after the show.

Next shows.

Next Airing: Sat Dec 4, 2004 3:00PM
1975 Firebird.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1971 Datsun 240Z.
Airs on Wednesday, December 15 at 8:00pm ET

In this episode, Japanese hustle meets American muscle! The Datsun 240Z was the first affordable people's sports car. We get an up-close look at the 1971 Datsun design engineering that proved light years ahead of its American competitors. Diving into their overhead cam engine, we tear it down and build it back up for a head-to-head drag race at full throttle!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gremlin vs. Pacer.
Airs on Sunday, December 19 at 11:00pm ET

History heads to the drag strip as popular cars of the past are transformed into fine-tuned machines, revamped and ready for the speedway. Part reality show, part history, we give car lovers a chance to get under the hood of some of their favorite rides. In a "Battle of the Uglies", the 1970s are back, when two of the history's homeliest cars go head-to-head in a drag race--bracket style. We put modern high-performance technology into these machines, including a shot of horsepower-inducing nitrous to make them roar to life. Two teams are supplied with garages, tools, and parts, and just two days to get their wheels into high gear as they prepare to compete in an all-or-nothing drag race. The winner drives away in both cars; the loser walks away empty-handed; the viewer gets an adrenaline dose of automotive history! TVPG
1967 VW Beetle.
Airs on Wednesday, December 22 at 9:00pm ET

Fasten your seatbelts as we head to the dragstrip in popular cars of the past that have been revamped into fine-tuned machines by two teams--each given the same model of car in similar disrepair. We supply them with garages, tools, and parts--and just two days before they compete in an all-or-nothing drag race. The winner drives away in both cars; the loser walks away empty-handed; the viewer gets an adrenaline dose of automotive history. In this episode, we turn "The Peoples' Car" into a Quarter-Mile Drag Racer by ripping out the 1967 Volkswagen Beetle's original 4-cylinder motor and replacing it with a powerful racing engine and transmission. TVPG

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Ghetto Jet said:
If half the board was insulted by that picture, half the board can take a walk.

That El Camino pissed all over that Ranchero.

I was poking fun at the Ford guys since the Ford lost the race. I like Fords. Christ.

You live in Georgia, guys probably have those Calvin stickers all over their trucks down there.

Your right! Why do we need it on here? Not like it has not been around for 10 years and no body saw it before.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
It would have been a lot better if the Ford had limited slip too. You could see by his higher trap speeds that there was alot of potential left untapped. Totally unfair. I only watched the last half and the part that showed them bumbling around with the distributor in the last minutes and then it just starts up? Yeah right, how interesting would the show be if one car didn't make the "deadline" I can't believe these guys couldn't stab a distributor close enough for the car to fire up first try. And then after they figure out it is 180 out, even then it is so far off time it is belching fire out the carb, but they allow that is from fuel puddling caused by the earlier attempt.
The show could be interesting if they didn't seem to think the mentality of the target audience was 10 year old kids.

Ghetto Jet said:
Barry, honestly, do you really care enough to argue about it? It's kind of stupid to be complaining about a little calvin sticker that you've seen several times before.

it was a joke, get over it.
Ghetto, you normally seem to be pretty together for an 18 year old but if you think you can post stuff like that Calvin thing and insult other people's rides without stirring up some crap, you are wrong, even if it was just a joke.

·
current hot rod: CTS-V
1,821 Posts
lol, Well I guess I'm wrong then, I wouldn't be angry if the El Camino lost and someone posted a piss on Chevy sticker because, to me, it would be fairly obvious that it was directed at the Chevy that lost the race and not the Chevy that I have in my garage.

how about it guys, is this one a little better?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am a mopar guy, so I don't have a dog in the fight LOL-

I thought the whole drag race was a waste because of the peg leg on the ford. That is one advantage that is unexcusable on the part of the twins.

On Calvin, I used to love the comic strip, but I just want to put a brick through the window of everyone that has one on thier rear window- can someone teach that little waste of ink where to go potty?

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems like the lineup of shows is all crap. The Firebird could be ok, but who wants to see a 71 Datsun, any VW's, and Gremlin vs Pacer does not redirect any of my blood flow to strange parts, if you know what I mean.

Lets have three teams and go Mustang, Challenger, Camaro.
Or maybe GSX, Roadrunner, Galaxy 500. Small block versus big block can be fun too. 440 vs 340 350 vs 454. 302 vs 427(side oiler, why not dream big)

·
Registered
25 Posts
They did do a Mustang BTW- wasn't too bad of a show. I think the real limiter here is the budget however- can you imagine

A) finding two GS buick 455s
B) Paying for them?

Notice the cars they have got so far are not that high dollar- did you see the pontiac firebird show? - I caught the begining, probably paid less than 3 grand for each car. Try getting a BB cuda for 6 grand! LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.