Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any body teel me what the full white removable sidewalls were called? Also if anyone still makes them.

·
8,453 Posts
They were called Port-A-Walls and they pop up occasionally in parts sections on specialty car web pages. Someone out there is still making them. OK for a show car but they don't last at all on a regularly driven car. Were never a great idea.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
...sheesh...

I remember working at a gas station and putting these on...along with tubes in the tires...

...sigh...

Don't even ask about oil filter cartridges and oil bath air cleaners...

·
8,453 Posts
Funny story - My brother-in-law was put in charge of a service station for graveyard shift while he was going to high school. He knew NOTHING about cars, just how to pump gas. (This was in the 'full sevice' 60s for the younger members of the board). One day he asked me if he did the right thing for a guy who needed brake fluid. He used some red fluid (I guess it was tranny fluid). I told him, "No, that wasn't quite right. Your customer will probably have a catastrophic failure of his entire brake system in, oh, about a monht's time."

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just now read this topic. I have those fake white walls on my truck right now. The previous owner put them on. He says, they are about 40 dollars each. They are actually still made (only I know of) for old VW bug tires. So check out some sites concerning VW's. I haven't looked for any yet, and there isn't any name on them either. Hopes this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a place that still sells port-a-walls.It's called Lucas automotive in Springfield,Ohio.1-800-735-0166 They fit 8" tires to 16" tires.Whitewall widths up to 3".The highest priced ones cost $32.95 for a set of four.I was debating about buying some for my 51 Chevy truck,but I'm concerned about the quality.If anybody buys any,please let me know if you're pleased with them,ok?Rebelson

·
Registered
676 Posts
I bought a 1954 Chrysler big old four door :cool: It had brand new black walls, so I bought a set of Port A Walls. I took them to a tire shop and had a kid there put them on. When I came to pick up car they were standing straight out like wings :confused: I found a old gray haired dude like me and he put them on right where they were tight up against tire. I won a lot of awards with that car and no one knew they were port a walls except me. I ran them until I bought new wide white tires. If they are good quality AND installed tight at bead they will look great... GOOD LUCK DAVE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts