Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 chev on 79 chassis, 62 LeSabre
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this company makes something i've needed for 18 years! only $70 too! there were a couple posts about this in a search, so here is the link to them. they also make gas tanks, sending units and all kinds of stuff for fuel: http://www.tanksinc.com/pdf/MeterMatchInstructionManualTanksInc.pdf

they also have a page on their site that tells you the ohms of gauges and sending units for different years

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just ordering mine today. it's tough for me to spend money on myself even tho i'm my favorite person! :drunk:

·
Magazines have “ISSUES”
994 Posts
How to match the sender to an unknown fuel gauge, cost 5 bucks max.

Here is a thought, resistors cost buck a piece ? Below is a chart, buy 3 resistors 30 ohm 90 ohm & 130 ohm.

Remove the wire from the sender, with an alligator clip, attach the resistor to the wire. Ground the other end of the resistor. Simulating the tank sender.

Example: if the 30 ohm makes the fuel gauge read full, buy the matching sending unit.

A savings of 65 $$ no shipping and handling

Cheers,
Pep

Attachments

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, dammit, you're right. but too bad i just got my unit from them. sorry , i didnt post quick enough. but thanks alot cause your answer is spot on

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rip-tide, WHERE are you getting these part numbers from? it's been a year, i have been dickin around with this miserable Meter Match product this whole time and DONT BUY ONE!! i have spent hours calibrating it according to it's directions every way possible it just makes my gauge bounce around like i was coming down from mt. everest on a flat paved road. what a complete waste of time and money. Wish we could still do product reviews but i'm only assuming we can't. if i recall electronics correctly two 20 ohm resisters in parallel will total 10 ohms. three 90 ohm resistors in parallel will total 1/3 of 90 or 30 ohms. if my sending unit is 90 ohms (1979 chevy) and my stock gauge is 30, then i use the sending unit as one resistor and put two 90 ohm resitors in parallel with my sending unit and that should make my stock gauge work. feel free to check my math because it's only been since 1980 that i took my class.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am just saying i finally got this pita to work right! i had tried calibrating it at half a tank, empty tank, full tank at the very beginning and nothing seemed to work right. then the last time i just said screw it and filled it up and i guess maybe i tried a different way, there are only about 4 or 5 different ways to make this work and my gauge went to full, and it has been going downward slowly every since!! i think i am as close to empty as it says i am. i am still going to run it all the way out and see what it says then. but i think it's close enough to where i can finally say for the first time since i bought my truck in 89 that i have a functioning gas gauge!!! and water temp. ALL my gauges work now!! it's a merckel!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok back from the dead, but i'm talking to myself so who cares. first off, dont buy one of these p.o.s. from tanks inc. i'm tearing it out as it just doesnt work. it worked once or so for a couple days, but...junk. they probably arnt in biz anymore by now anyway. and my math above is right. except instead of buying two 90 ohm resisters to put in parallel with my sending unit i figured i can just buy one 45 ohm resister, since rip wants to really go cheap, and the total R is still the same at 30 since 1/90 + 1/45 = 1/x of 30 ohms. it can be anywhere in the line so i'll just rig it up behind my instrument cluster, which is where that junk unit is anyway so when i rip that out i'll solder the resister in to ground. Free Assange. peace out.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah but there's the www. and an electronics store about one mile from my house!!! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts