Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
Got my 34' fired up last night.......finally. Got some weird gage problems. Temp gage works fine. Gas gage only works with the key off. Oil pressure and Volt gage don't work at all. Tach works fine . All gages share same ground and same B+ power. Oh yeah, almost forgot, Electric fan won't work unless I pull the relay and use a jumper wire. All gages are electric, no mechanical. Brand new painless harness also, so all wiring is new. All connections are tight. Any thoughts before I pull the steering column and dash out of it tomorrow. Thank you for the responses on my turn signal problem, I got a no load flasher on the way to take care of that problem. Got to pull radiator out tomorrow and get some leaks fixed and rodded out (I guess they still rod radiators out, I haven't had one fixed in years) can't afford $500-$600 for a new radiator right now.
Thanks, Kyle- hot 34coupe

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
If you put this in the electrical forum it will be seen by more folks who can help... It sounds like you have some wire tracing to do. With a painless harness it is somewhat easier, the new ones have the wires marked. Make sure you have all wires going to the right places.

It sounds like you may have some bad grounds also. I always run a seperate ground from the gauges to the fuel tank and from the gauges to the engine. I know it is extra work , but it removes any doubt that it would be a ground issue when it comes time to troubleshoot.

I'd start by isolating each gauge and powering it up with a temporary jumper lead straight off the B+. see if the gauge itself works. The voltage gauge should work just by hooking it up and having it grounded.

You can tell if the other gauges work by powering them up and grounding the S terminal momentarily and watching for movement. No movement and you know that the gauge is faulty.

What do you have controlling your fan relay? Try a different relay first.

Just some suggestions of where I would start.

Later, mikey

1 - 2 of 2 Posts