Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have a falty temp gage sender, what do I get to replace it with ?...."55 T - Bird , converted to 12 volts, original 6 volt gage, with inline runtz ressister. gage goes too quickly to 'hot' , as if it 's not enough ground( if I ground the wire to the sender, it reads cold )

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also think the sender is bad, but, according th to the Thunderbird parts books, the new original sender is $75 !!!!!!! I'm thinking, there should be one at NAPA or Autozone alot cheaper ???????????

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
not really , when the owner brought the car to me, it was still on 6 volts, he said then that the gage wasn't working. I think This car was put together by a ' farm boy' in Iowa. He had been using a 12 volt battery from in the trunk, but sold it to this guy with a 6 volt under the hood,,,,I just spent 4 weeks fixing what he didn't, also what he did wrong ! It wasn't safe to drive ! Anyway, no, the gage did not work then either.....thanks

·
life is a ride
1,540 Posts
test the gauge

The dash gauge has (2) internal magnetic coils that cause the needle to deflect from 100* at the lowest to 180* at midrange to 212* at the high reading.
First test the dash gauge:
Check to see is 6 volts is present at the gauge. The gauge must be grounded. 12 volts will ruin the gauge.
Disconnect the wire going to the engine sensor. The gauge must then read 100*.
If not the gauge is bad. If it does read 100* ground this wire. The gauge must then read 212* indicating the gauge is OK.
The engine sensor is therefore bad.

vicrod

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.