Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I would say no IMHO to galvie floorpans. Heat will be generated by the exhaust and heat up the pans. Galvinized isn't at all good for you and the potential for fumes would be high.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Just a few things you should consider if you decide to use galvanized sheet metal. (I wouldn't suggest it).
Welding on galvanized sheet metal gives off some nasty fumes that can kill you if not properly ventilated...
The galvanized coating should be ground away from any welded areas also because of weld contamination...
You will have to paint and protect all of the welded seams anyway...
Galvanized sheet is not very workable from a sheetmetal forming standpoint...
Mark

·
Registered
417 Posts
I used to work for a school bus fleet. Their bodies are all constructed of galvanized sheet and we replaced with the same. The only real problem is welding. Keep lots of ventalation and remove the zinc on the seam before you weld. To tell the truth, I've welded some galvanized without grinding the edges first. Using a TIG, you can actually watch the zinc boil off just ahead of the puddle. Not recommended and won't work at all with MIG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Listen to the experts. Been welding galvanized sheet in my car - cursed from start to finish.

Followed all the precautions - always wore respirator, still got sick. 2 weeks ago I vomited my guts out.

Feels to me like the zinc also sticks to your skin, especially face.

Also found much more spatter - stay away from it if you can.

Made my final weld today - praise the lord, will never weld galvy again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.