Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for leads on nice garage door insulation.

I have 3 wood rollup doors that someone has scabbed 1/2" rigid foam onto the panels. This stuff has to go!

I don't want a rigid foam that breaks and gets all over the place.

Recommendations?

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Actually I might wish to try some ductboard..that is a semi-rigid fiberglass that is used to make heating ducts..Or you may try the roll fiberglass tha tis used by the guys who do the metal buildings..that has a plastic over it to protect it..

Sam

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
If you go to a commercial insulation firm they will have a lot of different products that you can use. Some of them are metal clad and can not easily be damaged. None of these products will be inexpensive though. You could replace the doors with insulated fiberglass ones. You all ready have the tracks and you could do it yourself. Are you constantly opening all the doors in the winter? If not you could build some interior framework and insulate that. If you build it in pieces you could take it down when you don't need it or if you have to open the door every once in awhile. I know that my main problem with insulating mine will be air infiltration from the wind and I will have to stop that before I spend any money on insulation. Right now I would say that my door leaks as much as having a two square foot hole in the wall. What is your like?

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Never done this so just thinking out loud...what about the foil coated bubble wrap used for heating ducts etc? I don't trust the R values they claim for this stuff but I used it to insulate the floorboards of my roadster and it seemed to work well there. It would be easy to cut and mount you could even cross over the seams between the door panels to prevent a bit of infiltration.

·
Registered
7,045 Posts
cboy said:
Never done this so just thinking out loud...what about the foil coated bubble wrap used for heating ducts etc? I don't trust the R values they claim for this stuff but I used it to insulate the floorboards of my roadster and it seemed to work well there. It would be easy to cut and mount you could even cross over the seams between the door panels to prevent a bit of infiltration.
cboy - I like your idea to stop infiltration. That type of insulation would flex as you raise and lower the door yet leave no gaps when closed. :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Now that I think about it the air infiltration deal is the biggy in heat loss so if one can get a good seal around the door and through the hinges that woudl help a whole lot..

Sam

·
Registered
55 Posts
I used 2x4 fiberglass ceiling tiles, on a steel door. They are flexible enough that you could probably lay them over the hinges.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
cboy said:
My neighbor used this stuff, it works well. Not too awfully expensive either. Dan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts