Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after the last few years I got the attic insulated in the garage. The wife and I got up there Saturday and put in R30 batts. Now all I have to do is get the furnace hooked up and I will be set for winter. I wanted to have it all done a couple of years ago but the arm surgeries kept me from it. I have had heat but last year we installed a new furnace in the house so the old one goes to the garage. Going to make winter a lot nicer!!! After that then I have to do a little rearranging and get the compressor plumbed correctly and I'll be pretty well set.:thumbup:

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So why did you go with R30 and not R38? Just curious?
They didn't have any R-38 so went with what they had. I can always blow a few inches in a a later date but for the garage this ought to suffice.

it's gonna be toasty warm this winter... how is the shoulder feeling?
After this weekend it is killing me. Been over a year now since the surgery and it still isn't right. I don't think it will ever be. The doc that I had a second opinion with told me it will probably me something I have to live with the rest of my life. That along with the old arthur creeping in to other parts of the body.... Other than that not too bad.:smash:

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
I finally got around to doing the ceiling in my polebarn last week. (30x40) I used 2 rows of 24" batt insulation near the walls, and blew in the rest. Took 25 bags for R-19. MAN, WHAT A MESS! There's insulatin everywhere. My wife looked like a grey snowwoman. (She was loading the hopper) Safety glasses and nuisance masks don't cut it. You need a good respirator and Goggles to keep the crap out of your eyes, nose and mouth if you plan on blowing it in.

Glad to see you got your done Kevin ! :thumbup: I'm in the same boat as you regarding the heater. Thinking of going propane (no gas where we are) or using oil.

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I'm hooked to is propane as I am out in the country. And I KNOW the mess from blowing in insulation. We did it a few years ago to the house. 80 some bags. And no those cheap paper face filters do not cut it. The bad thing was I could taste it for a few days after it was done. I had a sleeveless shirt on and I think I absorbed it in thru the pores. I don't know who took the worst of it though...my wife and buddy below loading the hopper or me above blowing it. The batts I put in this weekend was so much cleaner. Even now I dread when I have to get up in the house attic because of all the dust that gets stirred up. When you clean out your garage you might as well pull everything out and wash it down good or you will be fighting dust forever.

Kevin

·
or Jeff, or Doc, or...
989 Posts
I was using the shop vac last night on the '39. Dust all over everything ! It'd be easier to build a new shop than pull everything out to clean it!!!!

Maybe I could get one of those whole house fans the fire dept uses to BLOW it out.....

BTW The sheetmetal for the 39 is here !!!!! Floorboards, inner cowl panels, rocker panels, outer cowl panels, gravel shield !!

Wooo Hooo Daddy's gunna be busy !

For 30x40x12, I'm going to use a 110,000BTU LP gas, 80% with 2 speed fan. And installing the A coil for air in the spring!!

Reasoning:
1.) I need about 80,000 btu, I'll get 88,000
2.) 80% efficency: NO condensate lines to freeze up in the winter, when its not heated (and its cheaper) May cost more to heat, but more reliable/less hassles
3.) 2 speed fan: cost more, but it will be more even heat. Less of a "blast furnace" type heat. Will "back" down as requirements ease up More comfortable,even heat
4.) A coil for air. Why wouldn't ya have air? Ya got heat!

Now the dilema. How big of an LP tank to get?

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would go with no less than a 250 gal. tank. The larger it is the more it cost to fill. My 30,000 ventless kept my garage at 45 sitting on low setting and 70 when I cranked it up last winter and with a 120 gal. tank would run me about 5 weeks. That was without insulation in the attic but I only have 8' ceilings too. I am going to switch my tank over to 250 in the Spring. I will probably keep the garage down to around 45 again just to keep things from freezing but when out there I want the 70 plus. Nothing worse than working in hat, gloves and a coat!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts