Hot Rod Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I ended up knocking off that guys idea. Here are some pictures. I need to find a better way to keep the screen hung. I'm thinking of stapling the screen to 1"x2"x36" pieces of wood.

As you can see, I hung plastic on all the walls, laid some paper on the floor, and hung a screen door.

Worked like a champ and there was plenty of ventilation. The garage NEVER filled up with over spray. There was just a light mist, but it never got to the point towards I couldn't see. I wonder how well my other plan would've worked?

I still need to do something about more lighting when it comes time to do final paint.

·
Registered
576 Posts
SUPERBEETLE...1st of all, BAAAD ride! I'm still primering parts, so not in need of a sterile booth yet, but......A master electrician at work assured me that the cheap box fans are safe IF you put them on the setting you want BEFORE you start painting and LEAVE them alone until you are all finished. He explained that the risk would be in changing speeds or starting them with excessive fumes present. 2nd, I too have a wife and child and my thought is maybe it would be best to turn my a/c unit off completely(open breaker) so as not to draw in any fumes to the house....again, that is one cool ride....post some youtube stuff!
James

·
VW makes it, Chevy shakes it..
1,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Hwyhogg said:
SUPERBEETLE...1st of all, BAAAD ride! I'm still primering parts, so not in need of a sterile booth yet, but......A master electrician at work assured me that the cheap box fans are safe IF you put them on the setting you want BEFORE you start painting and LEAVE them alone until you are all finished. He explained that the risk would be in changing speeds or starting them with excessive fumes present. 2nd, I too have a wife and child and my thought is maybe it would be best to turn my a/c unit off completely(open breaker) so as not to draw in any fumes to the house....again, that is one cool ride....post some youtube stuff!
James
Thanks! That's what I've heard too about the box fans. Set them before you spray and wait until the fumes are exhausted before you turn them off. Even after all the fumes were gone I left the fans on low and the garage door cracked about 1' to exhaust the fumes from the curing paint.

Being that my garage is attached I sealed house entry door from the garage with masking tape. After I was done spraying I went inside to see if I smelled anything. Couldn't smell a thing. I went to the closest wall to the garage to be sure. Nothing.

I kinda figured the exact opposite with the A/C. Every home leaks a little cool air which seeps out of the slightest seams and cracks. So I figured with the A/C going it would blow the fumes away? I could be wrong, but again, I didn't smell anything in the house. I couldn't even small fumes in the door crack that I sealed. So all was good. :thumbup:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.