Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what fellas are using for exposed gas caps on their rods these days.
I may still go with a door, but I'm thinking an exposed chrome cap may look good.
Not into billet though, but never know.

How would the filler neck attach to the body if going exposed cap?

·
Registered
151 Posts
On a 38 Chevy, this grommet goes where the filler neck passes through the fender. The filler neck does not physically attach to anything besides a large hose which attaches to the gas tank on the other end. It simply passes through the grommet/fender and has never been a problem. Topped off with chrome cap. Gas Filler Neck Grommet (Except 3 Pass Coupe and Sedan Delivery)

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bob.
I guess the hose holds it up and the grommet keeps it from jiggling.
How far thru the grommet does the filler neck stick out approximately?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm not near the car now, but I'd guess not more than an inch. Just enough to put the cap on. Given your skills I suspect you'll come up with something a bit more elegant. Since the filler neck can connect to the tank via a hose, you could weld the neck to the body for a cleaner appearance. I'm thinking an end result sort of like what you did with the mirrors.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again Bob.

To weld to the car is a great idea. But I would need one made from stainless steel.

Searching online has some weld in style bungs and caps.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, that second pic looks right to me. Looks like what I have and a whole lot more affordable than the stainless option from chevsof40s.

Chevs of the 40's are pretty proud of their products, looks like, lucky I have a Chrysler, ha....

But your welding idea is spot on.
I currently have an oversized hole and I can weld a disc around the filler tube just like the mirrors with a nice fillet of weld at the inside corner. Then weld it all into the fender.

Stool Gas Engineering Fender Aviation

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Could be a while. Need to get the body back on the chassis to see how I will build the new tank. Hopefully, I can leave it right there in the factory location.

Stool Gas Engineering Fender Aviation

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will you be putting an emission compliant drive train in? IE EVAP system in it. If so you will have to use a late model style cap.
That's why I need to plug the vent hole on the cap I get. Vent is thru EVAP canister. Nice, no fumes in the garage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts