Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just bought a 73 corvette project car and the locking gas cap has a damaged keyhole, the cap sits below
the body quite a bit and i can't really get my hand on it , there is no key and it probably wouldn't fit anyways,
any suggestions on how to remove it, i thought i may have to drill the lock out and buy a new cap,
Scotty

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
What?
No.
Do not drill it. Where do you think the stuff is going to go?

Remove the screws holding the filler in place. Pentrating stuff avoiding/protecting the paint and a bit of patience will make things easy.
Seriously like 10 minutes of actual work and a filler neck gasket.

Once the filler is off you can drill the cap off or just buy a new filler, ( with gasket and hardware) with a new gas cap. Just make sure the cap is vented in the same way/pressure as the old one.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so glad you chimed in, i did not realize how easy it is to remove the filler neck, i never had a vette before so i assumed the neck was undetachable, i was also concerned about what imsport said about fuel vapors and drilling, seems this is the safest and proper way to go, thanks for the video

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
The locking gas caps I got for my truck (Stant brand?) are very cheap construction. It wouldn’t take more than a big screwdriver to pry off the top locking portion, and under that is a round bezel you can grab with a big set of channel lock pliers.

Bruce

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I had that problem one time and I could not get my stant gas cap to unlock as the locking mechanism inside had broken or something but its been so many years and I just took a flat blade screwdriver and took a hammer and gave a little tap to it with the screwdriver on the keyhole and banged it a few times with a regular hammer and it then screwed right off with no problems.
Quit using them as if anyone wanted my gas that bad they would just punch a hole in my tank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.