Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 64 elky and it needed a new pick up in the tank so I went online and ordered it and I installed it. The unit went in with no problemes however it doesn't read right when the tank is full the gauge reads WAY past full like the needle disappears, and then when the tank is empty it reads half full???? It was suposibly the so called correct one that goes in my car. Is it just not compatible with the old gauge or are the new remanufactured stuff different voltage or what???? Any advice would be much appreciated. Somebody else out there has got to have had the same problems.

·
Registered
415 Posts
The fuel gauge sending unit should have a specific ohm range that matches the gauge. If they don't match you will get strange readings. The other possibility that I can think of is the float somehow wasn't installed right and is stuck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense about the ohms and making sure their(sending unit and gauge) are matched up. So how do you determine what ohm you gauge needs to be correct?

·
Registered
415 Posts
If the gauge is the original, a good auto parts store should be able to tell you what the original set up was. They should also be able to order you the correct sending unit. If the gauge has been swapped out, you'll need to contact the manufacturer to determine what you need.

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
6,341 Posts
Also, double check your ground wire. If you don't have a good ground the gauge will read high. Usually this manifests as a gauge that reads full (when there is no ground) or correct (when it does have ground) but a consistently faulty ground can cause high readings. My 66 Bonneville had a bad ground. For a while it read high. Then for a while it read really high but occasionally got ground and read correct. Then it started working only when it rained. Fixed the ground, fixed the problem.

I doubt that is your issue, but its a cheap fix, and one that I would eliminate first.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.