Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Forcing more air would help, but that would require more fuel too. Allowing more air when needed, ie cold air intake would assist in that along with a horsepower gain, same thing with an exhaust. If the engine can inhale and exhale easily than you can get the best of both worlds. Making sure it's in top shape would be the biggest, timing, carb adjusted, clean plugs with proper gap, proper point gap (if applicable), good wires, cap, etc... The basic tune up. You might think about that thing that swirls the air and fuel around before entering the intake I think it's like the tornado or something like that. Or you could draft behind some semis :D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Take your foot off the floor.

My 4-banger mustang gets terrible mileage when I push it hard (which is alot). But if I drive conservativley, I notice alot better MPG.

Typical advice, but it works.

·
street rods forever
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks,I worded this post wrong, what I meant was any ideas on some "new" ideas like a stream of water pressurized to mix with gas or a some kind of blower motor forcing air in,a new invention.........that would make me rich...........haha

·
1976 Ranchero GT
1,455 Posts
KRUZR said:
Thanks,I worded this post wrong, what I meant was any ideas on some "new" ideas like a stream of water pressurized to mix with gas or a some kind of blower motor forcing air in,a new invention.........that would make me rich...........haha
You must not have seen the (6 cycle engine). That link is floating around here somewhere. You would love it. :drool:

·
Registered
744 Posts
A free flowing exhaust can help quite a bit, your best bet on a price per mpg would be just replace the stock muffler with a super turbo or straight through muffler. Not a Cherry bomb or louvered muffler.

Air up the tires. Something like 5-10 lbs more. Remember their is a point of no return and never go over whats stamped on the sidewall.

A front air dam can be a big help also. I made a hideously ugly one for my Rabbit back when I was a kid and it did improve mileage on the freeway something like 2mpg

Make the car lighter, any thing that can be removed will help.

Jordon

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
KRUZR said:
Thats not a new idea believe it or not...it has been around for years. Both of them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.