Hot Rod Forum banner

Gas Monkey Garage is giving away a Hot Rod - need your help

1087819 290
Hi Everyone,

Richard Rawlings of Gas Monkey Garage is giving away a hot rod. We need your help in 2 ways.

1. We need a worthy charity that we can raise money for. We aim to sell T-Shirts in order for people to go into the draw. We want to give the profits to a good charity. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. We are going to be documenting the build out and posting the film on you tube - The first video is posted. What would you like to see in the build out - specifically???

Check out the video here:
Gas Monkey Garage Hot Rod video

I am adding a couple of pictures of the 31 etc.

:evil:
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Late to the party, as usual.

I couldn't resist tinkering with one of Jon's parody images, even though I was too lazy to create my own 'word balloons'.

(I wonder if the rust worked its way into some ~bad~ places?)

If these guys really want to be considered *bad*, let 'em grab a sandblaster while in those outfits and take a shot at that (allegedly) rusty relic they're polishing with their bad buns. Do they sell rust kits, too, kinda like those pre-torn jeans that sell for 4 times the price of good ones?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
NWayne said:
Awsome. If you can post the email addresses to the shows? :mwink: Maybe we can flood their email boxes. I'll be first in line.
Please don't. Spam is spam, and nobody likes it. Flooding email servers is just another form of denial of service. It's not a good protest or complaint mechanism.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
jalopy45 said:
:pimp: anyone promotion seen such blatant self promotion??http://www.chipfoose.com/ , http://www.boydshop.com/ , http://www.jimmyshine.com/ , http://www.so-calspeedshop.com/ , I'm certain someone can find something offensive in each one and cars they don't like!! The horse is dead, time to stop beating it. :spank:
There is a huge difference. How many carnival pitches by Foose, Boyd, etc. have you seen on Hotrodders.com? When visiting a website run by a marketer, for marketing, you expect to see marketing. When visiting a discussion forum with explicit rules prohibiting the interference with discussions by marketers, you should have an expectation of being able to carry on discussions without being bothered by unsolicited commercial messages.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Look at the rust drip lines: near the front point of the side trim, under the front bumper, top of the fender, the streaks along the bottom of the door near the photo left badboy's calf, and of course on the hood. All run down the surfaces. (The lines along the bottom of the door look like they run up, but such an appearance could happen naturally. Even those on the door that appear to go upward from the trim could happen, I suppose).

Now compare to the rust under the headlight. It streaks backward. Look at several of the large patches of rust. Some are completely contained patches with no streaking at all. There are a couple that streak diagonally. Many patches appear to have intense rusting in the center, then feathered edges, then lesser rusting, then more feathering.

Again looking near the left badboy's calf, see the brighter dot with a circle pattern around it? Looks like some circular sanding disc about 3" or 4" in diameter hit that. The center of the pad appeared to be higher and didn't cut through all the way.

I may be wrong, but this rust appears to be too carefully random for natural forces. I think you could duplicate this with the use of various tools followed by application of a little battery acid, with all the trim removed, of course.

I suggest we post some pictures of naturally rusty relics to see if any exhibit the same rusting patterns as the badboys' ride.

Attached: My Olds as it once was. All streaks are parallel. I can't find any that run diagonally and certainly none that appear swept by the wind of travel.

You can almost count the passes of a sandblaster on the trunk lid from an early, aborted attempt to strip the car.

Look at the side trim. The reflection of the sun appears to have cooked the paint above and below, with rust spreading out fairly equally from the trim. It does *not* look like some rust-inducing liquid was applied at the trim-line and allowed to run.

Patches of rust are intense where the paint came off, but I see none that feather to lesser rust then feather to good paint. The paint may have been harder for this older car, leading to chipping more than fading. There is a circular impact below and to the right of the gas filler door. Note it does not appear to be a perfect circle as would be caused by a spinning tool.

Anyone else want to show off some natural rust? Are the badboys faking badness, rust, charity?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Jon said:
<major SNIPPAGE>

(That's in .mov format, which you should be able to play with the QuickTime player. I'll be working on converting it to other formats as well. We'll need Flash Video Format and Windows Media Player Format for starters.)
I'm on ~self-censored~ dial-up but that's worth downloading. wget estimates 3 hours, 56 minutes. I think mplayer will handle .mov and will let you know, later. Thanks for providing a plain link for downloading the file from that page, instead of just the stream!

Jon said:
<more SNIPPAGE>

Gas Monkey Garage used us. They ignored our guidelines, spammed our forums, and insulted our intelligence with pathetic propaganda and duplicitous "let's donate to charity" marketing tactics. We asked for a genuine apology many times, and we never got one. We asked them to please remove the video from the web, and they ignored us. When we spoke our minds, they used harmless legal scare tactics to try and intimidate us into ignoring our rights to free speech. It's disgusting, and we're not going to roll over and let it happen.

Once again, here's that link: http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/monkeyboys.html .
I don't really have any reply to that last quoted part, I just thought it ought to be repeated. :)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Jon said:
grouch -- I'll work on a smaller flash version tomorrow. I still have much to learn about converting between these various formats. And, I'm sure there are some tricks for making smaller-filesize movies.
The download finally finished. Xine won't play it but mplayer would. No audio:

"Requested audio codec family [qdmc] (afm=qtaudio) not available.
Enable it at compilation.
Cannot find codec for audio format 0x324D4451.
Read DOCS/HTML/en/codecs.html!"

The docs the error message refers to can be seen online at
http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/installation_codecs.html

It's showing up as a small image in a 384x288 window. I never bothered downloading the original, so I don't know what resolution it was.

Any reason not to encode the video as mpeg2, like a DVD?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Jon said:
BTW, regarding legal lines, publicly re-printing emails is a "grey zone". Same with other assumed "private" communications, such as PMs in forums. While there's nothing I'm ashamed to see in the email I sent you, it is something to keep in mind. Spamming forums, as Richard's marketing company has done, is also "technically" illegal.
While I am not a lawyer, everything I have read, including far too many court documents online, says that this is not a "grey zone" at all. You own each email you compose. Copyright law therefore gives you the exclusive right to publish or choose a publisher. In the U.S., public interest may override copyright law, such as when Diebold's corporate email was published when revealing voting machine problems. It is far better to assume that no permission to publish is received with an email. Seventy years after the author dies, you're free to publish without permission, unless it was anonymous, pseudonymous or a work for hire, then it's 95 years after publication or 120 years after creation, whichever is shorter.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Corky Coker said:
Seems to me that kicking the guy off your forum would be the smart thing to do if he broke your rules. Life is too short. Seems like a big waste of time to me.
I'm sorry, but that indicates you are not familiar with all of the facts of the incident. It is not simply a case of an individual violating the rules of Hotrodders.com. The moderators are quite tolerant, but capable of dealing with rules violations without fanfare and with minimal disruption of discussions.

Gas Monkey Garage attempted to exploit the large readership of Hotrodders.com by way of a deceptive message for marketing purposes. The deceptive message easily could have been placed in "The Dump" and the user who posted could have been banned. However, that which was being marketed was particularly offensive to Jon and, apparently, quite a lot of us. It portrays hotrodding as some kind of fake counter-culture, much like the image television and main-stream media imposed, or tried to impose, on motorcycling and rock music in the '50s.

People who seek to market such an image and those who seek to purchase such an image for themselves are certainly free to do so. They are not free to use Hotrodders.com for that marketing, as spelled out in the guidelines.

Those who get grease under their fingernails trying to build their dream hotrod are just as free to ridicule that counter-culture fakery. Some of us think hotrodding is more about machinery and engineering than about "Spank My Monkey" thongs, dark glasses in a garage, and selling by any means that moves the product.

A lot of hot rod projects discussed in these forums began as father and son projects. Which version of hotrodders would you prefer to sell to the next generation, one of engineering or one of assumed and marketed imagery?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
[email protected]:~$ whois -H 66.18.46.201
Chattanooga Metronet Inc. METRONETCHATTANOOGA (NET-66-18-32-0-1)
66.18.32.0 - 66.18.63.255
Coker Tire Antique and Classic Tires COKERTIREANTIQUEANDCLASSICTIRES (NET-66-18-46-192-1)
66.18.46.192 - 66.18.46.207

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-08-27 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

-----

I'm guessing you'd prefer no one posted any more detailed information about the host at that address or its provider.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Man said:
Only small minded imbeciles with a brain capacity just barely high enough not to be called brain dead slander good people on forums and the internet.
You should probably do some research before spouting your next tantrum. Slander is oral defamation of character and libel is written defamation. While Jon appears to be guilty of neither, you seem close to the latter. Please don't think that posting such messages under a pseudonym provides you with protection. (See Melvin v. Doe, for example).

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Jess:

Thank you for that. It helps restore some faith.

I hope the disciplinary action takes into account the understandable motive to defend Coker Tire and Corky. The person's action was certainly wrong, including the hypocrisy of posting a real name and attacking the person owning that name while making the offensive post under a pseudonym. It is interesting to note Mr. Coker inspires loyalty in employees.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Hotrodders.com has a clear policy against marketing. It's like a big garage with many projects going on and many people swapping info about those projects. The size makes it a juicy target for marketers.

Imagine if your own shop became a target for door-to-door sales people, just because several of your friends were there regularly. Imagine that you hang a sign on the door telling these people to stay out, because they keep interfering with yours and your friends' work. Every day, some marketing idiot drives by and throws junk mail in the door. You pick it up, sweep it up and toss it in the garbage where it belong.

These drive-bys are annoying, but everybody pitches in to pick up their messes. Then one day some slick promoter walks in, right past the sign, plants his butt on a stool and begins to act like he's just one of the guys, sharing all the same interests, and looking to help some charity by way of activity that is based on the foundational, shared interests that bring you and your friends together so regularly. Not far into the pitch, you and your friends figure out this guy is another salesman, looking for a way to use you and your friends to help him sell a false image of your interests.

Imagine that situation. You're sitting there in your shop and this con artist ignores your sign and comes right on in and begins his pitch. Are you going to shake his hand and invite him to stay for supper, or find out who he works for and who put him up to the invasion?

It seems to me that Jon is acting like the security guard at the door who is fed up with those who keep trying to slither around the rules in order to harass his guests. Calling on the bosses, who hire those slitherers, to accept reponsibility for their hirelings' actions and cease the invasions does not seem like an outrageous response, to me.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Ocat said:
So what if the guy from GMG was working for corporate company. I sit behind a desk all day in a suit and tie but come weekends im driving to a show in Dickies a T-shirt sporting my piercings. Does the fact I have an office job make me less of an auto enthusiast? I like working on cars, if I chose to open a shop and build cars should I have to worry about my employment history and the reputation I may get from it?
That depends on whether the company you work for feels that its desire to profit gives it the right to ignore any rules it feels hinder its marketing efforts.

Ocat said:
In your personal crusade you broke our forums rules and that was no outside links to other forums.
Who broke your fora rules? Members of hotrodders.com are individuals, not representatives of a single entity such as the marketers for Gas Monkey Garage.

(BTW, such a rule seems a bit silly applied to pages on the Web, which thrives on links).

Ocat said:
I guess we should start a huge crusade on you guys, dig up personal info and pics, photoshop those pics and send info to SEMA and any other Hot Rod Company we can find letting them know about your atrocious behavior.
Why? Hotrodders.com, so far as I can determine, is not a member of SEMA (not being a manufacturer of anything) and is not a company trying to sell anything. Why would any other "Hot Rod Company" be interested in the fact that an individual, who happens to have registered at hotrodders.com, decided to post a link in a forum?

Ocat said:
We would do that but we have something you guys lack, patience, understanding and most off all, maturity.
You do not seem to lack in the ability to judge, nor lack in the ability to be illogical.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Jon said:
Put the pieces together guys, I know you can do this. What does it all mean?
Looks to me like some exploitive marketers saw all the money those greasy hotrodders toss around and decided they should cash in, too, with another get-rich-click scheme. Spammers with thongs and Beemers.

When you look at the old (and now big) company names in performance and custom, you see the results of someone pinpointing a need and then creating a business to fill that need. Isky, Edelbrock, M/T, are examples. Is GMG in that class? I think, from what I've seen, that GMG is in the same class as sellers of magic diet pills and water-burning carbs -- whatever you can sell to the suckers, in whatever way they'll swallow it, is just fine so long as you take the money and run.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Jon said:
Another one:

--Why am I attracting automotive marketers to this discussion? Going through webpages with lists of automotive marketers, and telling them to come watch. Showing our members how to email them respectfully. Emailing the big automakers: Chrysler, Ford, GM.
Because you're determined that your next new Ford must have randomized rust patches and a big "Supreme Anti-Christ Voodoo BaddBoy" painted on the side?

Because you won't be able to sleep until you know what the CEO of GM looks like in a "Spank My Monkey" thong?

~~~running to hide in my garage~~~

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.