Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
201 - 220 of 291 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com Administrator
3,190 Posts
Wow, I can only imagine what would happen if David Coker possessed Spanky's ability to give an honest apology. That was warm, honest, and genuine, Spanky.

Here's what I think would happen:

1. People would respect him as a real person, not a company image.

2. People would register at his forum, talk about wheels, and come to depend on his wheel knowledge.

3. People would buy their wheels from him, over all other wheel companies, because they trusted him.

4. He would be forgiven for any money that he might have put towards this video.

Of course, what do I know. As Coker Tire would say: "You on the other hand, Jon, are worthless and should shut your 2 bit forum down".

·
Glad To Be Here
2,240 Posts
jessh said:
My name is Jess and I'm the customer service manager for Coker Tire. I owe an apology to Jon and this forum for the post made by "MAN". One of my overzealous sales representatives, Andy, took it upon himself to post this response. The post was not made by Mr. Coker, as he is out of the country at this time. Again, please accept my apology for this unauthorized post by one of my employees, he has been disciplined accordingly as this action was completely out of line.

Jess
Customer Service Manager
Coker Tire Co.
1-800-251-6336 ext. 263
This is to Coker Tire and their representatives.

Just for the record; I have been a customer of Coker Tire in the past.

See my original review for them on this site under Company Reviews.

I go to Chattanooga often as I have family there. As a matter of fact I will be going there this week as my first Great grandchild is being born today.

I am in the market for a new set of rims and tires for my project Model 'A' Coupe to replace the American mags that are currently on the car.

As a result of the comments posted here by someone from Coker Tire I want it to be known that I will NOT be purchasing from them or any of their affiliates!

As to Honest Charley's; "Honest Hisself" owned and operated a small aftermarket Hot Rod store located in Chattanooga many years ago in the '50's. He advertised and sold products through magazines such as "Hot Rod" in the '50's & early '60's. He was a pioneer in the Hot Rod aftermarket business along with Bill Smith of Speedway Motors. He eventually shut down and the name was purchased by Coker Tire and opened up as an aftermarket supplier for a very limited market. In the last few years they have expanded into the Hot Rod market and I have seen their displays at the Goodguys event in Charlotte, NC.

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Jon said:
Wow, I can only imagine what would happen if David Coker possessed Spanky's ability to give an honest apology. That was warm, honest, and genuine, Spanky.

Here's what I think would happen:

1. People would respect him as a real person, not a company image.

2. People would register at his forum, talk about wheels, and come to depend on his wheel knowledge.

3. People would buy their wheels from him, over all other wheel companies, because they trusted him.

4. He would be forgiven for any money that he might have put towards this video.

Of course, what do I know. As Coker Tire would say: "You on the other hand, Jon, are worthless and should shut your 2 bit forum down".
It has taken me a couple of days to read through this thread...wow...

First of all, I agree with your hostility over this pathetic attempt to promote profits under the guise of charity. All this does is breed distrust in people who would otherwise donate to those less fortunate then themselves, and we are all well aware that there are many of those people out there.

As far as these particular companies participating in this sham, they are all in a dire situation. On one hand they have all of us waiting for an apology and on the other all of their business partners / customers waiting to see if its true. Let this be a lesson to all...DO NOT STICK YOUR FOOT IN YOUR MOUTH!

Companies like Coker Tire, who called all of us brainless idiots would do well to consider that we are their bread and butter, and have the power to put them out of business. I am personally boycotting everyone business involved until I am personally satisfied that proper amends have been HONESTLY made.

BTW - Great satires everyone, if I wasn't so busy I would crank out a few myself.

·
3,190 Posts
Once again guys -- thanks for the support :).

By the way, if you support us in our effort, but, for whatever reason, you can't publicly post in this thread, we totally understand. However, if you still want to lend a hand, here's something you can do. Check out our new Free Hotrodding Encyclopedia. If you like, you can help us out by adding to one of the existing articles, or by starting a new one. Anyone can do it, and it's just as easy as posting on a bulletin board; you don't even have to register a username. Any knowledge that you contribute gets published under a special license that allows everyone to share it for non-commercial use.

BTW, the member who suggested that we make a new page that lists all of the sponsors associated with Richard Rawlings and Gas Monkey Garage: great suggestion. I'll add it to the list of pages we're going to add to our new Monkey Boys Section. I'm not sure if you wanted your name mentioned, but you know who you are :thumbup:.

Also, another major logical error in the "out of the country" defense. Even if Corky Coker made the first post "Corky Coker" post in this discussion, then indeed immediately left the country, there's still a huge flaw in that logic. Every country has the internet. "He left the country" is a generic excuse, used in desperation when there's nothing left to say. Unless Corky was in one of those really remote countries, where they don't have the internet. Like Pluto.

Or, maybe Corky was in one of those countries where you're not allowed to speak freely on the internet. Like China.

We are being treated like mentally retarded children.

·
3,190 Posts
And, one more thing, and then I really, really need to take a nap.

Speaking of remote countries, China, and sharing knowledge, here's an amazing quote:

The Internet's contribution to the diffusion and dissemination of knowledge and information is truly remarkable.
Who would say such a thing?

Richard Rawlings? Give me a break.

Corky Coker? Yeah, right.

Jon? Nope, he wishes.

This guy, the Dalai Lama.

Most spiritual/religious stuff is confusing to me, but I do think this Dalai Lama guy seems pretty smart, especially judging from the articles he's written and published on the net. Anyway, looking at that picture, I like to think that, if the Dalai Lama could see what's going on here, he'd be laughing right along with us.

You can read more about it here: the Dalai Lama's Letter.

·
Move It On Over!
227 Posts
"Bullrun is the most glamorous and high profile of the new breed of high-end "luxury lifestyle" automotive rallies. Each year, a hundred of the world's premier super-cars embark on the beginning of an invite-only epic eight-day rolling party across the USA, bringing together a celebrity strewn cast of characters and 'petrosexuals' for an unforgettable adventure, where, the only obligatory goals are to party, drive and enjoy."

Petrosexuals?

I for one dismiss these Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World Petrosexuals as evil satans.

"Get thee behind me, Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World Petrosexual: thou art an offense unto me" -- not from the Hot Rodder's Bible

·
Registered
89 Posts
A little problem on the way.

It seem's the powers of the Anti-Christ are a little less than the RCMP.
As this report shows.

Richard Rawlings, propriator of Dallas's Gas Monkey Garage and one of Bullrun's bigger 'n Texas personalities, took some time out of his rally prep regimen of struttin' and testifyin' to do an on-camera ID for a crew we believe comprised the official Bullrun documentarians for TV. Later in the day, Rawlings was forced to find a new co-pilot for his BMW 7-Series car, when second-in-command, Michael Jackson (no Bubbles jokes, please) was denied entrance to Canada due to an undisclosed prior, and he and Rawlings were possibly strip-searched. Rawlings tells it, after the jump.

He won't be joining us and there is no getting him out. I guess I'll have to rustle me up a co-pilot. I woulda stayed and got him out, but there was no gettin' him out. I need a beer worse than I've needed one in a long time. Here's your quote: 'He actually accomplished everything in one day that I thought he'd do he'd do in one week. He literally **** his pants and puked twice.
Anyone, anyone?

·
"May the Schwartz be with you"
1,053 Posts
Jon said:
This guy, the Dalai Lama.

Most spiritual/religious stuff is confusing to me, but I do think this Dalai Lama guy seems pretty smart, especially judging from the articles he's written and published on the net. Anyway, looking at that picture, I like to think that, if the Dalai Lama could see what's going on here, he'd be laughing right along with us.

You can read more about it here: the Dalai Lama's Letter.
Jon, there is nothing mysterious about spirituality...it is in each and every one of us. The Dalai Lama is one of my most respected people and for great reason...he says it like it is with no "pulp".

This world would be a better place if all of us would try to live our lives like him (Mr. Coker, Rawlings, etc...ARE YOU LISTENING)?

·
Lost in the 60's
15,292 Posts
Your right...but the people that you mentioned only care about one thing.....MONEY...... they certainly do not care about others.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I figured this would happen sooner or later. Like it or not hotrodding is a niche market and this website's members make up a nice sized chunk of it.

I hate phony wannabe scum trying to make a dollar off the uninitiated youth in our hobby.

Larry

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I just updated my photoalbum on this site, and in the links just above ads by google, gasmonkeygarage was one of them. Thought that was kinda interesting. I am taking it these are random links.

·
Registered
2 Posts
multiple apologies

To all that have read or will read this thread,

The first time I saw this discussion board, it looked to be a quality site with lots of discussion about hot rods and the ability of folks to ask questions of each other. Coker Tire Company does surf around looking around car related discussion forums to see if we can answer questions or see if there are problems that should be solved. On Friday August 25, one of my staff forwarded me a heads up email that the administrator (Jon) of this site had sent to our general inbound email box. Jon indicated that he was disappointed that we were involved with Gas Monkey and clearly wanted us to get involved in his (Jon’s) fight. He had already created and posted his video when he sent us the first email received. I posted on this thread stating that we do not know Gas Monkey, did not think it cool to involve us in Jon’s personal little war and asked for resolution which meant leave us out of it. Jon ridicules my answers and turns everything I said into some sort of threat. I never threatened anyone. I left Sunday noon for meetings in Canada. Monday comes and one of our guys, Andy, reads the thread slamming us for no real reason and obviously gets mad and posts (without authorization). He calls Jons names, silly names. Jon looks up the IP address and posts that it is my IP address, so it HAS to be me. It wasn’t. There are over 50 computers here at Coker, all with the same IP address all used by different employees. The manager of the Customer Service department, Jess posts an apology for Andy’s clearly misguided post. Although Andy is a very loyal young man and felt the need to stand up for me, he should not have and now feels like he accomplished the opposite he was trying to do. Andy didn’t help. He was foolish to be sure. I am sorry if Jon thinks I am a liar and a jerk. I’m not.

I am sorry that I allowed the administrator of this site to pull me into this which is exactly what he was trying to do to begin with. Gas Monkey should not have used our name. I don’t know them. Hotrodders.com should not have used our name either. Just because someone else says something, it doesn’t either make it so, make it right, or true. I don’t care for any “anti-Christ” statement at all.

I am also sorry that I did not remember what my grandfather taught me about walking through the field at our farm growing up. He told me that when you pass a greenish black pile in the field, don’t step in it, don’t stir it with a stick, just walk around it. When you interact with that pile at all, it smells….so just avoid those piles. Although I feel like the pile was picked up and thrown at me and the Coker name, I still am sorry for interacting with it. Last time you will hear from me. By the way, I agree that we all should work hard to get young people involved in hotrodding correctly. I really do not believe this is the way.

Sincerely,

Corky Coker

·
3,190 Posts
Did you know that the Coker Tire name was going to be mentioned in the video, or not? Yes or no? "I don't know them" is an evasive answer that doesn't apply to this situation. Did you know, or not?

Did you pay for the sponsorship mention? Yes or no? Who did? Why won't your brother talk to us?

A ****-erotic photo of two men in "Spank My Monkey" thongs was posted on our site. An extremely manipulative, despicable video with sneaky subliminal marketing tactics that damages hotrodding culture was posted on our site. All of this was done in clear violation of our guidelines. The fact that it was done under the guise of "let's donate to charity" is reprehensible. Anyone who is involved should be ashamed.

We asked nicely for an apology numerous times. We were ignored.

It's very simple. This is a forum for freely exchanging hotrodding knowledge and culture. It's not a place to be manipulated for the marketing ventures of parts suppliers, production companies, or anyone else with a commercial interest.

I want to know who footed the bill. I want to know everyone who was involved.

I haven't said that it HAS to be you at all. Is it being implied? You bet. The comments in our parodies have been attributed to "Coker Tire", as they should be. Coker Tire is responsible for everything that gets said under Coker Tire's name. You are the head of Coker Tire, so you are being selected as the representative in our parodies.

Either way, we don't trust you. You came in here and tried to push us around and manipulate us. Legal scare tactics while you run afoul of the law? It was disgusting what you did, and we are owed an apology.

A member of your company, posting here without revealing his ties to your company, is extremely duplicitous and shady. If he was posting from your company IP address, why did he put "CO" as his location, and then mention my personal name, and Boulder,CO, the town that I live in? Because he was lying about his location, and because he wanted to make me feel afraid for my personal safety and privacy, that's why.

By the way, if you think you can come in here and slam my character, you're nuts. I've dedicated years of my life to this community, and earned a reputation as a solid leader. We are a knowledge and culture powerhouse with awesome members and solid morals. You're a slick, well-connected marketer using some very questionable tactics. You're trying to sneak away from responsibility by attacking my character. You refuse to address the issues here. You ignore our direct questions, and you attack my character, and the character of our members, instead.

By the way, keep watching as this scandal unfolds. You wouldn't believe some of the things we've uncovered already, but haven't mentioned yet.

You haven't apologized for anything.

Jerk.

·
3,190 Posts
What was Coker Tire's role in the posting of a ****-erotic "Spank My Monkey" photograph, and a despicable "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World" video, on our forums? Are you saying you didn't know at all that your company name was going to be mentioned in the video? Oh, please.

What was Coker Tire's role in the posting of a ****-erotic "Spank My Monkey" photograph, and a despicable "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World" video, on our forums? Someone is funding this crap. Who?

What was Coker Tire's role in the posting of a ****-erotic "Spank My Monkey" photograph, and a despicable "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World" video, on our forums? You guys are one of the biggest companies in the industry. You're very well tied to SEMA. Something is going on here.

What was Coker Tire's role in the posting of a ****-erotic "Spank My Monkey" photograph, and a despicable "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World" video, on our forums? That propaganda sneaking its way into knowledge-based communities is incredibly uncool.

What was Coker Tire's role in the posting of a ****-erotic "Spank My Monkey" photograph, and a despicable "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World" video, on our forums? Your personal relationship with Richard Rawlings has no bearing on this. Everything can be done without you ever having to personally meet or talk to him.

I have no desire to hear semantic trickery: "I don't know Richard". "We've never met". "I don't like the Anti-Christ thing either". "It looks like my brother just had these guys build a car for him". "Let me tell you a story about my grandfather's farm".

We want an answer. Who is behind this? Who put up the money? Not the production company, Dodgy Monkey Media. Not the star, Richard Rawlings. Who?

Because whoever funded it, is ultimately responsible.

I think that the incredibly obvious answer is that the two sponsors that are mentioned in the video are the ones that are funding it. And, I think you're pulling out every trick in the book to not have to admit it.

201 - 220 of 291 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.