Hot Rod Forum banner

Gas Monkey Garage is giving away a Hot Rod - need your help

1088988 Views 290 Replies 68 Participants Last post by  Jon
Hi Everyone,

Richard Rawlings of Gas Monkey Garage is giving away a hot rod. We need your help in 2 ways.

1. We need a worthy charity that we can raise money for. We aim to sell T-Shirts in order for people to go into the draw. We want to give the profits to a good charity. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. We are going to be documenting the build out and posting the film on you tube - The first video is posted. What would you like to see in the build out - specifically???

Check out the video here:
Gas Monkey Garage Hot Rod video

I am adding a couple of pictures of the 31 etc.

:evil:
Status
Not open for further replies.
101 - 120 of 291 Posts

· Registered
1,908 Posts
Look at the rust drip lines: near the front point of the side trim, under the front bumper, top of the fender, the streaks along the bottom of the door near the photo left badboy's calf, and of course on the hood. All run down the surfaces. (The lines along the bottom of the door look like they run up, but such an appearance could happen naturally. Even those on the door that appear to go upward from the trim could happen, I suppose).

Now compare to the rust under the headlight. It streaks backward. Look at several of the large patches of rust. Some are completely contained patches with no streaking at all. There are a couple that streak diagonally. Many patches appear to have intense rusting in the center, then feathered edges, then lesser rusting, then more feathering.

Again looking near the left badboy's calf, see the brighter dot with a circle pattern around it? Looks like some circular sanding disc about 3" or 4" in diameter hit that. The center of the pad appeared to be higher and didn't cut through all the way.

I may be wrong, but this rust appears to be too carefully random for natural forces. I think you could duplicate this with the use of various tools followed by application of a little battery acid, with all the trim removed, of course.

I suggest we post some pictures of naturally rusty relics to see if any exhibit the same rusting patterns as the badboys' ride.

Attached: My Olds as it once was. All streaks are parallel. I can't find any that run diagonally and certainly none that appear swept by the wind of travel.

You can almost count the passes of a sandblaster on the trunk lid from an early, aborted attempt to strip the car.

Look at the side trim. The reflection of the sun appears to have cooked the paint above and below, with rust spreading out fairly equally from the trim. It does *not* look like some rust-inducing liquid was applied at the trim-line and allowed to run.

Patches of rust are intense where the paint came off, but I see none that feather to lesser rust then feather to good paint. The paint may have been harder for this older car, leading to chipping more than fading. There is a circular impact below and to the right of the gas filler door. Note it does not appear to be a perfect circle as would be caused by a spinning tool.

Anyone else want to show off some natural rust? Are the badboys faking badness, rust, charity?

Attachments

· Hotrodders.com Administrator
4,724 Posts
Good morning everyone :).

I have completed the parody video of Gas Monkey Garage.

I've posted it on YouTube. Here's a link: Monkey Boys Garage.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it. It's my first attempt at video editing, but I'm very pleased with how it came out.

Bear in mind that the original Gas Monkey Garage video (as well as my parody, obviously) does contain profanity. While the profanity is indeed very mild, I just thought I'd let you know, as I know that some of our members like to read the forums with younger children.

We still await an apology from Richard Rawlings for the use of manipulative marketing tactics in our community.

· Registered
7,785 Posts
Loved that video!!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: You did a great job! Aren't computers great. When I first started editing I had to cut the film apart, add a new scene and then splice it back together. Is there any way that we can keep the video up at the top of the page for others who haven't come from this site can see it right away? If we all go there we can get more hits on this video then his.

· Administrator
25,742 Posts
The Gas Monkey's video has 2331 veiws, ours has 16 so far......I wonder how long it will take for ours to pass theirs?

not too long, I bet........................... :thumbup:

· Glad To Be Here
2,718 Posts
crazy larry said:
well i'll be damned..... first time i've read this, i usually don't click if it doesn't interest me, but seeing robs post in the dump piqued my curiosity. .....

Jon has a set.... who knew?
go man go. :thumbup: you bad boy you. :evil:
Me too! I went ahead and joined the utube thing and posted a comment on Jon's parody (Great job Jon!!!) and on their original video. Tried to link to Jon's video when I commented on the original but got an error message when adding the link with and without the correct HTML coding.

4,724 Posts
Thanks guys.

Yes, the next step is to make a page that includes the video, a summary of this situation, thumbnail photos of our parody pics, and links to key posts in this thread, as it will soon be too long for an average web surfer to trudge through.

Then, a sitewide promotional banner, followed by a mention of this incident in our next newsletter. Plus, I'm still sending out personalized emails to a bunch of people. And, I need to do a blown-up analysis of the "Anti-Christ of the Hot Rod World" frame, to point out all of the little bad-boy props. For example, Richard's shades that he never takes off, the word Voodoo on the car, the can of beer in his hand, the constantly crossed arms, the "F My Coast" shirt, the skull jewelry, etc. That specific frame is an excellent example of Richard's carefully-scripted badboy persona.

Also, I'd like to put together a simple tutorial to show other webmasters and forum administrators how easy it is to fight video with video, because we're all going to need to step up our skills shortly.

I really feel bad for David Coker, but "he's such a nice guy", "awww, he didn't know", or "his products have a great reputation" aren't legitimate excuses. Also, you can tell by the way he bumbled through his lines that he's not very good at being fake and hamming it up for the cameras. Poor guy :(. Someone probably slick-talked him into thinking that this would be a good way to promote Newstalgia Wheel. Hence the "Noose-talgia" analogy in the video. They're giving him the rope he's hanging himself with. However, he has to take responsibility. As do we. If we do nothing, then what would they do next?

Also, I'm glad that I've picked up basic video-editing skills, although I still have much to learn. Video is becoming widespread on the net now, and video (television) marketing is already the strongest skill of the mainstream hotrodding marketers. To think that we won't see many more of these would be naive.

poncho -- I agree, and I'll be watching it closely. Part of the reason that we must counter with a video is that, as we draw attention to this situation, people go to YouTube and watch the Gas Monkey Video. So, we were, in a sense, "advertising" their video, without a video of our own for people to watch.

Stephen Andrews (dodgy) -- Unlike Richard Rawlings and David Coker, your first and last name were specifically excluded from the video. My feeling is that your marketing fiasco is caused more by stupidity, inexperience, and basic greed, rather than genuine malice or attempts to usurp American hotrodding culture for reasons of personal profit. Also, you are a very small fish. After your production company collapses, I think that your personal reputation will not be greatly harmed. Your license plate is visible in one of photos you've posted on the web. One of our members, who is also a private investigator, has graciously volunteered to run your plates for us, so that's something that you may want to keep in mind. Like Richard Rawlings and David Coker, a portion of the responsibility for this offense is yours.

I plan on posting on NobleForums.com regarding this incident. I intend to post a link to the parody video, in the thread in which you request feedback on your video: looking for feedback on Gas Monkey video. And, I will be offering free consulting services for any other automotive marketers on that forum who wish to have their promotional material reviewed prior to releasing it on the web. They can either deal with our feedback before they release marketing propaganda, or after.

· Glad To Be Here
2,718 Posts
My comments on the original video at you tube keep getting removed. :mad:

They were not offensive but suggested that viewers check out Jon's video.

I e-mailed you tube for further info as to why?

4,724 Posts
Frisco -- they have blocked comments to the video, or are doing them on an approval-only basis. Same for "video responses", as I wanted to post our video as a response to theirs, but it was not allowed.

(edit: When you upload your videos to YouTube, it's your choice whether you want to allow people to post comments or not.)

They want to maintain the traditional one-way medium of communication that they are accustomed to from television, but with online video. They are mistaking video for television, a common error.

Attachments

· Registered
169 Posts
Jon said:
Good morning everyone :).

I have completed the parody video of Gas Monkey Garage.

I've posted it on YouTube. Here's a link: Monkey Boys Garage.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as I enjoyed making it. It's my first attempt at video editing, but I'm very pleased with how it came out.

Bear in mind that the original Gas Monkey Garage video (as well as my parody, obviously) does contain profanity. While the profanity is indeed very mild, I just thought I'd let you know, as I know that some of our members like to read the forums with younger children.

We still await an apology from Richard Rawlings for the use of manipulative marketing tactics in our community.

You said in the video you were going to send it to SEMA are you actually serious?

· Registered
3,940 Posts
I'll post this on the HAMB as well later on. Jay Leno is a regular member there and checks everyday so he might even see it ;)
They take down the comments on their video. I had posted a link to this thread on their video comments but everything was delted shortly after.
Great vid Jon!
Still waiting for dodgy to say something, his name appears at the bottom of the thread quite often as "viewing"
Poncho, as soon as you put an url in your comment an "error occurs". You gotta space it out like so "w w w . h o t r o d d e r s . c o m / badboys"

Mike

101 - 120 of 291 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.