Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 28 Ford coupe that I am putting a spun aluminum gas tank out of a dune buggy in the trunk. My problem is that even tho I have a solid metal wall between the tank and the interior I am concerned about gas fumes. The tank comes with a vented cap but no vent line, what do you think about drilling into the top of the tank, inserting a fitting and running it to the drip rail of the trunk and putting in a non vented cap. Does this sound like a good idea or does someone have a better idea? Oh yeah the coupe has a SBC(283) and a T-10 4 speed.
Thanks - Jerry

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
Don't run the vent hose to the drip rail. You are asking for trouble. Fumes and fire danger.

I run my vent tubes from the top vent fitting to an area under the body, higher than the tank, in a loop, at the top of the loop I insert a small lawnmower type inline fuel filter, then run the end of the hose to an exit just below the trunk floor, usually above or rear of the rearend housing.

The small filter keeps away any chance of syphon. My only problem so far has been mud daubbers (insects) that like to pack the exposed hose end (fuel vent, trans vent, rear vent, etc.) full of mud. A sbc fuel pump will pump (suck) a 12 gal. rear tank flat if a non vented cap and the hose gets plugged.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Don't run the vent hose to the drip rail. You are asking for trouble. Fumes and fire danger.

I run my vent tubes from the top vent fitting to an area under the body, higher than the tank, in a loop, at the top of the loop I insert a small lawnmower type inline fuel filter, then run the end of the hose to an exit just below the trunk floor, usually above or rear of the rearend housing.

The small filter keeps away any chance of syphon. My only problem so far has been mud daubbers (insects) that like to pack the exposed hose end (fuel vent, trans vent, rear vent, etc.) full of mud. A sbc fuel pump will pump (suck) a 12 gal. rear tank flat if a non vented cap and the hose gets plugged.

Good idea.
I used to take some of that open cell foam rubber about 1 1/2 inch cube poke a hole in it and glue it over the filter's pipe. Keeps stuff out of the hole. Put the glue on the flat of the filter not on the pipe. Point the open end down.

Remember some of the older smog solenoids had foam over the bleed off pipes?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.