Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just sort of a regular car question. I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota, and the gauges aren't working. I checked the fuse and its hot, I'm not sure where to look next, electrical stuff isn't really my thing. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks, I'll try that. And I'm not sure if its relevant, but the back lighting for the gauges work. I don't know if the power for those is transmitted through the same connector.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
Most of the engine to dash gauge connections in a Dodge are not direct connections like they were in older cars. The engine/body sensors tell the body control computer what they are reading, and the computer tells the dash gauge what to display. This is not the same computer as the engine control computer.

In my case (Dodge Caravan) it seemed to be low voltage at startup (bad battery), which caused the body control computer to start up incorrectly sometimes. It was strange to see the engine running, but there were no gauge readings. The final fix was to put in a new battery.

I'd check power connections and wiring for the body control computer, if you can figure out where they are in the truck. Also try charging the battery completely with a trickle charger, and seeing if a fully charged battery changes the symptoms for the gauges.

Bruce

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, I pulled the cluster out today, and There are two connectors, one is gray and the other black. There are 10 terminals in each. Only two, out of the twenty are hot though. One on the gray and one on the black. And one of them(not one of the hot ones) when I stick the tester in it the door buzzer comes on. I don't know if thats important or not, I'm not sure why the buzzer would be running through the gauges. But anyways, when I put it back in, some of the gauges moved aroun a bit, nothing to indicate that they were working though. The voltmeter moved a bit, as did the oil pressure and fuel gauge. The water temperature, tachometer and speedometer didn't move at all though. Where do I go from here, do the wires go straight to the body control module? Where is it located at? I appreciate everyones help very much.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.