Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
NEVER use credit cards!
3,110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I CAN'T GET MY DAMPER ON ALL THE WAY. THE MFG SAYS THE CRANK GEAR FOR MY GEAR DRIVE IS 65/1000 THICKER THAN STOCK DUE TO 1/8" THICK WATER PUMP GASKET THEY "REQUIRE" TO CLEAR COVER. IT CLEARS FINE WITHOUT IT BUT MY DAMPER SEEMS LIKE IT NEEDS TO GO ON ANOTHER 1/4" MINIMUM, NOT 1/16"! ANYBODY KNOW WHY MY FREAKIN DAMPER WONT GO ON ALL THE WAY? I'VE RUN IT BEFORE WITH THE DAMPER HANGIN OFF THE END OF THE CRANK AND IT DIDN'T SEEM TO HURT ANYTHING, BUT IT SEEMS LIKE IT SHOULD GO ON MORE. REPEAT: 65 THOUSANTS DOESN'T SEEM LIKE ENOUGH, EVEN THOUGH ALL MY PULLEY WILL LINE UP. IS MY CRANK SUPPOSED TO BE RECESSED AN INCH OR SO INSIDE THE FRONT OF MY DAMPER? MY MR GASKET DAMPER BOLT ONLY CATCHES ABOUT 1/4" OF THREADS INSIDE MY CRANK LIKE THIS. I BOUGHT A LONGER BOLT AND WILL BE USING THAT. WHAT ELSE CAN I DO? ANYBODY ELSE RUN INTO THIS PROBLEM?

·
Registered
123 Posts
bullheimer,howdy!my chevy 350 has a 6 3/4 damper on it and there is about 1" inset to the nose of the damper.as you know the damper is at tight[press] fit and the damper bolt doesnt have a lot of thrust on it.doubtful the gear drive is affecting your damper fit,see ya!jimm

·
Registered
7 Posts
damper problem

hay jimm I just built a 350 I had the same problem I'm running a RCI gear dive with the idler in the timing cover . I had to buy a longer bolt for mine as well my prolblem is I'm hitting the crank gear with the damper. If thats not your case make sure your key way is not scared up not letting you go all the way in. And yes just make sure your crank gear is on right. I say that because some do not have marks on them I know trust me I've been their.

·
Licenced Automotive Technician
1,625 Posts
Last post, 03-14-2002, 06:29 AM
4 years! I wonder if they've solved it.... :rolleyes: I'm beginning to wonder if JC himself comes on this board, 'cause someone is raising the dead, lol!!

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
old

2002,,,,i don't think i was even a member then..

Keith

1 - 6 of 6 Posts