Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This should be easy for you guys. I have a 1957 Chevy 10bolt rearend. I bought 2 quarts of Royal Purple and 1 quart of Lucas Diff. I'm pretty sure The rearend it's self will hold about 2 quarts. Should I put 1 and 1/2 qrt of royal and 1/2qrt of Lucas or would that be to much. Thanks Brian

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Do not use the Lucas stuff, the Royal Purple gear oil has everything you need already in it.

I advised a neighbor to use a Lucas product and it cost him $1500 to get the damage repaired on his motor home :pain: .

Update: I had not seen the link to Bob's website until I read this thread. I had advised my neighbor on a minor power steering leak on his motor home. This system uses a power steering system in conjunction with his brakes. I said there are products that are designed to stop minor leaks and I mentioned Lucas power steering additive. He tried it and few days later had major problems with his power steering and brakes. The additive caused foaming and totally messed the entire system up. It took a complete flush of the power steering and brake system to correct the problem. He called Lucas to inquire about the problem and they acted like it was the first time they had heard of it and were very un-apologetic.

The best advice you can have is use a quality lubrication product and stay away from any whiz bang additives.

Vince

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I want to thank everyone for their knowledge on this topic. I also want to thank you for preventing future damage. That was a pretty good sight about the Lucas additives.
So I guess since I already bought the Royal purple I'll just use that and leave out the Lucas gear additive.

The reason I wanted to use Royal Purple is (don't laugh now) I saw Horse Power T.V. where they just switched out the motor oil,gear/diff oil,and Tranny fluid ( I think they did the tranny anyway's) with Royal purple and they got an 8 h.p. gain to the rear wheels. So I figured it can't hurt.

So again thanks for the help guys. I just became a member a few days ago and with in these few days you have definitely made me a loyal member. Thanks Brian

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I guess I should say I've always been against the additives. I always thought they were a waste of money. But when Lucas has that little display of the gears and you see the oil climb. I figured that had to work. I guess if I could spin those gears fast enough (like in the rearend of an axle) I could get the same foaming action. Lucas put's that there knowing there is no way a person could spin it that fast.

Like I said I really appreciate the help

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
61 chevy said:
Let me give you a tip....Don't believe EVERYTHING you see on T.V....or read in a magazine..LOL :mwink:
To refine that statement a little....be very suspicious of anything you see in a magazine or on TV. Also be suspicious of any sports figure (drag or NASCAR) that spouts loudly about how great their sponsors product is.

Vince

·
Registered
5,391 Posts
302/Z28 said:
To refine that statement a little....be very suspicious of anything you see in a magazine or on TV. Also be suspicious of any sports figure (drag or NASCAR) that spouts loudly about how great their sponsors product is.

Vince
...and Carroll Shelby is the biggest 'prostitute' padding his bank account by a selling to a company to use his name.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I kinda know that :nono: If someone were paying me big bucks yeah I would say they are the best. (just as long as they aren't the worst) And I've see the horse power increases in several different places........oh yeah but it was on a T.V. and in a magazine :spank:

Oh well I didn't buy the Royal Purple to add h.p. but for the reduction of friction. Where there is less friction (other than tires :embarrass ) the better. Less wear and tear,less heat,more performance capability,etc.etc.

And I think I'm not going to use the Lucas oil. So there is $10.00 down the drain(for the green people not really down the drain......but then again I bet there are'nt any of them on here lol)

·
just a kid and his truck
351 Posts
wow that kinda surprised me! I just re-did my rear and have about 100 miles on it, I filled it up with lucas gear oil 80-90, not aditive, and then the GM friction modifier for the posi, do you all think this is a problem and should I change it out to something else?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
i used a 1/2 quart of lucas additive in the rear diff. on my 4x4 truck, i havent had no problem with it its an open diff. and seems to work a little better in traction. ive never used it in a motor or automatic tranny though, im kinda afraid to.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.