Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got one of the new Delco mini gear reduction starters on my SBC 34 Ford. Got it from a local starter/alternator shop that I recpect, it's new by the way. I have had it on the engine for about eight months and it works fine. Recently I finally got some exhaust on the car. I had been running open headers while I have been working on the car (not driving yet). Since I got exhaust on the engine I hear the starter bendix hanging for an instant after the engine starts. Tried shimming, took the starter off and it will even do it on the bench. The bendix stays extened until the starter stops turning. Took it back to the starter shop explaining the situation. The guy said all these permanent magnet gear reduction starters do this and it's not a problem. I did notice that my wifes 04 Tahoe does the same thing and it has the very same starter on it. Thought I would ask you guys if ya'll have any experience with this starter doing this.

Thanks in advance
Vince

·
Super Moderator
6,623 Posts
It's supposed to be easier on the flywheel when grandma turns the key again after the engines started. Don't worry about it if it's not grinding, the gear freewheels an then retracts. The retraction spring is real light and freewheel speed is not indicative of the environment it will operate under.

The newer bendix drives have fiber lubricated bearings and seem to handle it well. Some people even look at it as a design improvement.:drunk: :rolleyes:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts