Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone here know of a manufacturer of a gear timing setup for a 318 small block chrysler? I've looked though a few places (jegs, summit, and jcwhitney) but haven't had luck. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks,
D200Dodge

·
489 Lemans
2,139 Posts
gear set

I have been told to stay away from them. Most people that I know want them for the sound instead of the performance. Your best bet for performance is a true roller timing chain. There is another less expensive alternative. There is a spring loaded device (name of it escapes me) that keeps tension on the timing chain as it stretches. Sprint car drivers use them mostly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use of a full gear timing. I'm not in it for the sound but I don't mind the sound, the truck is for off-road use and I keep juming teeth on my current gear/chain setup. I've replaced it with brand new parts and it keeps happening. I've decided gears are the best choice for me.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
D200Dodge

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
gear drives

I am sure that gear drives for your SBM is made, and like you I dont see them in the usual sources. I would recommend getting a copy of MOPAR Magazine, or possibly one of the Off- Road or 4 X 4 magazines and look in there for a company that Specializes in MOPAR performance parts.

From personal experience, I would stay away from JC Whitney. Ive had bad parts come from them, lousy customer service, their prices arent any good deal, and they charge the highest prices for freight and ship the cheapest way they can.

·
Administrator
18,433 Posts
D200Dodge said:
Use of a full gear timing. I'm not in it for the sound but I don't mind the sound, the truck is for off-road use and I keep juming teeth on my current gear/chain setup. I've replaced it with brand new parts and it keeps happening. I've decided gears are the best choice for me.

Any other suggestions?
Thanks,
D200Dodge
If you are wearing out a gear/chain stetup quickly causing it to jump teeth, you either are installing something wrong or are using garbage parts. ...318s don't make that much power...............

Of course, there was the kid who claimed he was getting...."324 hp and 631 lb.ft of torque".......................

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I go to school with that kid. His motor wouldn't supprise me if it had that much power but not that much torque(i've seen him break his mudders loose and burn them for about 45 seconds on a few occasions).

I'll make one more attempt at the timing chain setup, I'm going to purchase one on my way to work and I'll put it in tommorow- any suggestions as to putting them in?

Thanks,
D200Dodge

·
Registered
222 Posts
The 318-3 truck engines were originally equiped with double roller timing sets.Mopar sells them.Or get a Cloyes True Roller set and it will never jump anymore.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts