Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i need help i have an 82 el camino and i want to change the rear end gears to 3.42 or 3.73's i need to know what all i need and if i can just get the ring and pinion gears and they will just fit right into the carrier but i need to know what all ill have to replace bearings fluids gaskets and stuff
thanks

·
Registered
17,612 Posts

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,614 Posts
First you need to learn how to use periods and capital letters.

Then you need to know what gears are in the rear end right now. That will tell you if you have a 2 or 3 series differential. The '82 will have the 7.5 10 bolt rear end, so there are special thick 3.42 and 3.73 gears that will fit the 2 seires. You will need a good installation kit, and not one of those junk kits that Summit and Jeg's sell. Then you need to take it to someone who knows how to set the pinion depth, bearing preload and backlash to get the correct contact pattern on the gears.

·
NEVER SATISFIED !!
1,947 Posts
I think you will find that many people won't bother answering if they have trouble reading your question.

You've been here long enough to know this subject has come up before.

Reread the answers you gotten. It's very good info.

454 RATTLER

·
High Performance Rear Ends
3,614 Posts
If I can't read what you are putting in then I can't help you. It's a simple request. You need help with the rear end in your car. You think I care?

·
Proud LOSER
2,185 Posts
learn to use periods and capitol letters sir this is the internet you think i care? and can i just get these http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-741012/overview/ and they would work fine? or do i need a whole rear end
Stop being a sarcastic doorknob, your not good at it.
Now, yes.....without reading a sht ton of earlier posts, I think your rear was a 2 series gear?
Buy the install kit, buy the gears, pay someone else to install.
Your link is correct.....

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok man i know a guy who has a shop that will do it for free if he knows how to do it but i guess ill get that link i sent you and is that all i need to do it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts