Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, three questions guys concerning the Gen VI 454 BBC.

First, in order to mount the oil filter, all I need is the threaded insert for the oil filter right? This little guy http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-3853870/Application/?prefilter=1. Is GM the only ones that offer it, or would a local hardware store have it you think? I wonder what thread size it is.

The second is, does it need the crank reluctor ring? As in, will the dampener go too far in if I don't use one or for some reason not seal right? I'm not running EFI, or any other sensors, I'm just concerned that the dampener will go too far in if I don't use one.

The third question is about the oil pan and the oil pickup tube clearance. I know the rule of thumb is that the oil pickup tube screen should be 1//4 to 3/8" from the bottom of the oil pan. My OEM GM 6 quart oil pan came with a pickup tube and melling M77G oil pump (same thing as a M77). The problem is that, the pickup sits a full inch (1.10" without gasket to be exact) above the pan, ***! The pan is 9" deep. The pickup tube is 6.05" long. I tried a Melling 241S pickup tube that is used with 8 quart pans on Mercruisers. That tube puts the pan 0.90" from the tube. I am so frustrated, that I am about to cut the collection of pickup tubes I have, splice a section in, TIG it, and be done with it.

·
Registered
9,050 Posts
That is the correct piece. Most blocks also have a required by-pas valve that also fits in that hole. Available from engine rebuilders/GM dealers.

Leave the reluctor, unless you rebalance motor and use earlier balancer or devise a spacer.

Check a Melling catalog. There are many different pickup tubes available. Also spacers to drop pump are available in the aftermkt.

·
Car? Truck? Who Cares
2,485 Posts
Your friendly Chevrolet parts people will have the pan, pick-up in an oil pan kit.
It is a 4qt pan to allow you to put the GenVI into most passenger cars.

I do not have the part number right now----but you might call the people at summit racing for more info

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Almost got so fed up with the pickup situation that I ordered the 4 quart pan, but didn't. Ended up just cutting the pickup, and splicing in another section of pickup. What I do not get though, is that according to GM, this is the right pump, the right pickup, and the right pan. So why would the pickup sit a little over an inch from the bottom of the pan? Did the GEN 6 change things so much that now this is the new correct distance?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.