Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
all i need, is for you gusy to tell me what you think of this statement:

Accel is regarded as less than acceptable in terms of quality ignition components.
i already know my answer, just looking for what others think

·
Administrator
18,396 Posts
Years ago, say 1975, they were considered hot stuff.............of late they have gotten a bad reputation. Did they get sold to some large company just for the name...............??

Lots of companies have a bad rep now....Fram is another one.......

·
... & Insanity Ensues .....
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Accel is part of mr gasket performance group, which also owns:

hurst
hays
lakewood
mallory
jacobs electric
erson cams

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
Bought a few things from accel. I bought all the things at the same time. Two things were bad. One was pulled after the first two things failed. Coil went first, Cap (seriously) second, then I pulled rotor and went back to mopar performance.
Accel, Never Again. Unless they paid me and reinstalled everything every month.

·
Registered
780 Posts
is it the company ? or the company having the parts made in china...

my accel coil and wires are doing fine. but they are 5 years old.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Accel parts

:(
RippinRon said:
I had two Accel coils in a row that were faulty. I didn't find their plug wires anything but cheap.
I had a accel duel point dist. for about 6 yrs. wore it out. I
bought a electronic accel dist. @ acc-140001 coil they lasted
about 6 mos. I think all of there electronic parts s---s, including wires @ plugs. Also mallery duel point dists. su--s.. :( :mad: :mad: Thats my 2 sents :) :)

As always hotrodders is :thumbup: :thumbup:

jim dandy

·
Registered
639 Posts
Over the last 25+ years I've seen many Bosch/Delco/Motorcraft parts replaced with parts from the 2 'name brand' ignition companies. Thgese days I'd rather use modified oe parts than any other than Jacobs/Msd/Ic+e.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I have found "other brands at the same price" to better made, better performing, longer lasting parts....(ex:a set of Bosch spiral wounds VS Accell at your local store for mama's car)

"sell the sizzle and not the steak" made the profits for Mr. Gasket so they can go buy up (and ruin) the better mfgr's......

·
Some Punk Kid
786 Posts
I go way out of my way and will even spend more to not even come in contact with Mrs.Gasket. I did get money back from JEGS in one case but even then the quality of product was crap. I bought Oil pan and timing cover studs. I was stripping the threads on these "heavy duty" studs with a whopping 2 foot pounds. Bought a thermostat housing with a 1/2NPT port on it for heater return. It was obviously plated after it was tapped and the threads were not taped off and almost all the threads were full of chrome. Super hard to re tap.
I do have a Hurst shifter I bought. After a week of owning I found out that they were inside the conglomerate from hell. I hope I dont have any problems with it. I bought it for its handle height. Tallest ratchet shifter I could find.

·
Not Considered a Senior Member
10,722 Posts
over the years my experience with accel was a melted HEI distributor cap, had 2 friends try it around the same time to the same result. plug wires with high resistance right out of the box. A HEI supercoil that lasted almost 2 days, the replacement lasted a week. that being said, I don`t use there products anymore. Any electrical product will have failures, it`s just that other companies products didn`t fail on me multiple times on multiple pieces like Accels stuff did. I just thought maybe they had a quality control issue, but I dunno, I do know they make a nice profit for a company that sells low quality parts, I`ve used pertronix without issues other than 1 bad coil, the replacement is still in use, MSD has served me well, I had one module fail me of theres, the replacement still works. I haven`t tried Jacobs, or mallory. I`ve pretty much stuck to pertronix and MSD.

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,783 Posts
product

In the late 70's when i started playing with cars accel was about the only game in town. But over the years there quality has gone into the can.. I feel the MSD parts are about as good as it gets. All the cars i build that get new ignition systems get all MSD parts... I did use the accel shorty plugs for awhile until i found the autolite racing plugs, so i don't even buy them any more..

I did have an engine on the dyno once that had the accel 8.8 wires on it and it drove the dyno nuts... We ****ched to a set of house MSD wires and all the issues went away. The engine did not make any more power with the switch tho....

Keith

·
Instagram: partsretriever
1,622 Posts
Those sweet looking "hurst equipped" emblems... made in china now according to the package at the local speed shop. I might pay $5 for the foregin junk but not the $20 they wanted, unless it was here in the USA then I know I'm helping keep jobs here so I feel better about it.

On the Jeep boards I go to they advise against Accel stuff, although their old stuff was always really good, kinda like MSD is today.

Fram has gone the way of accel as well, personal experience, and after discussing it on the Jeep boards I visit, many people have had failures on Fram filters as well.

As far as filters go, I use either Hastings, Baldwin, or Wix. Nothing else.

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
ChevelleSS_LS6 said:
Those sweet looking "hurst equipped" emblems... made in china now according to the package at the local speed shop. I might pay $5 for the foregin junk but not the $20 they wanted, unless it was here in the USA then I know I'm helping keep jobs here so I feel better about it.

On the Jeep boards I go to they advise against Accel stuff, although their old stuff was always really good, kinda like MSD is today.

Fram has gone the way of accel as well, personal experience, and after discussing it on the Jeep boards I visit, many people have had failures on Fram filters as well.

As far as filters go, I use either Hastings, Baldwin, or Wix. Nothing else.
This ignition thread has kind of died, so I don't mind asking,

What is the recent problems with Fram? What failures have occurred?

·
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.
5,122 Posts
Thank you for that information.

I read it ALL quickly and most of the links are no good.

One valid entry that I saw was from

Engineczar BSE Racing Engines

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/fram-oil-pressure-drop-28968-2.html?highlight=fram+oil+filter engineczar # 23

added= (I want to say that there is almost no firsthand knowledge, and mostly I heard stories.)

these two following quotes sum up the rest

I will not use FRAM because too many guys have complained about them.

Anyway to make a long story short, circle track buddy told me

1 - 20 of 26 Posts