Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64 Ford Galaxie. "GEN" light came on last week, pulled the generator replaced the 60% worn brushes, sanded & cleaned internals, put it all back together & now the "GEN" light glows brighter than ever....Do I need to replace the generator? If so, should I convert to an alternator? If so, what do I need to convert & what alternator do I use? FYI: Reving the motor doesn't make the lights brighter like before - battery (battery is brand new) is getting weaker & I have to put it on the charger to keep it charged.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here, :pimp:

Sounds like the regulator has Gone south, OR is out of adjustment at the Air Gap Contacts OR the field relay Contacts and hanging the relay closed.Burned or pitted contact may Cause this too, you should burnish them Clean , smooth , and shiny, then adjust the gaps.

The Best solution is to REPLACE the Regulator..with a N.O.S. If you can find one...OR even get a "Plug and Play" Solid state regulator . IIRC, it would be something like a PN~VR 75 ..

Don't Forget to polarize it! ( Mechanical Regulator)

As far as an upgrade, IF it supports the system, and your happy with it, no need to do it. Although, If you plan on adding modern Accessories , Like High power lamps , aftermarket air, Cooling fans, The generator probably won't support it. Remember, it is not, OR, hardly charging at Idle!

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
257 Posts
Converting to an alternator has certain advantages besides the the higher output that Doc pointed out. A big one is the availability of parts. If your Gen or regulator goes out chances are that you will end up waiting a couple of days for replacement parts while Ford alternators and the appropriate regulators ane on the shelf of almost any part store.

Doing a clean conversion on the 64 isn't too hard, you'll need an alternator and appropriate regulator and plug (personally I prefer the solid state electronic units) and brackets which can be pirated from a slightly latter engine of similiar type (6 Cyl, SB or FE).

The wiring for an alternator and regulator is different than the generator and regulator so you will need to figure out those circuits. I'll probably post that diagram in my journal when I get to that point but that is still at least a couple of weeks off.

All in all it's not a difficult or expensive conversion but ultimatly the decision to convert will be yours.

·
aka Duke of URL
4,815 Posts
-ALTERNATOR CONVERSION INFORMATION-

The above will give you the basic idea. If it is a nice 64, please keep the conversion OEM appearing (NO DELCO-MORON PARTS).

The actual wiring harness can be bought pre-made so that will give you no problem.

Any questions, just post them here.

ADDED INFORMATION-

Polarizing Instructions-

If you installed new brushes, you need to again polarize the GEN...

Alexander
Member since Oct-30-02
2505 posts Jun-26-06, 03:48 PM (EST)

4. "RE: Generator Light is staying on !"
In response to message #3

It is usually only necessary to polarize a generator when it has been rebuilt and new brushes installed. The generator keeps a residual polarization even when the car has not run for years. The only way you can screw up the polarization on a generator that is on the car is if you have played with the wires from it, connecting and crossing them at random.

To polarize a generator: With the car not running, disconnect the Field and Battery wire from the voltage regulator and momentarily connect the two wires together. Reconnect the two wires to the voltage regulator and you are done.

Alexander
1959 Hardtop
1960 Golde Top
I quoted this post from another forum to give credit to the author...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
docvette said:

Sounds like the regulator has Gone south, OR is out of adjustment at the Air Gap Contacts OR the field relay Contacts and hanging the relay closed.Burned or pitted contact may Cause this too, you should burnish them Clean , smooth , and shiny, then adjust the gaps.

The Best solution is to REPLACE the Regulator..with a N.O.S. If you can find one...OR even get a "Plug and Play" Solid state regulator . IIRC, it would be something like a PN~VR 75 ..

Don't Forget to polarize it! ( Mechanical Regulator)

As far as an upgrade, IF it supports the system, and your happy with it, no need to do it. Although, If you plan on adding modern Accessories , Like High power lamps , aftermarket air, Cooling fans, The generator probably won't support it. Remember, it is not, OR, hardly charging at Idle!

Great info & very quickly delivered. Thank you. I replaced the voltage regulator today, polarized the generator & it's still not charging. I replaced the Generator Brushes yesterday. Any other thoughts? One thing I failed to mention, didn't think it was too important, was that there were two wires attached to what I'll call the center core of the generator - these attach to the brass pieces that the brushes ride on - that were fried and disconnected from each other - didn't look real bad, only two wires, didn't think this would cause the generator to not function at all, maybe this is my problem?

Thanks all!

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Your Generator is shot! The armature pickup have separated and that is why it is not charging..

You may try to find a NOS for it or if you want to upgrade, without bracket hassle's, and retain retro look...go to genernator.com and order a replacement.

These are alternators built in the old style generator case, and bolt right in..

Or you could go aftermarket alternators.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.