Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where can I find a generic electric windshield wiper motor? I would like to replace the factory vacuum wiper motors on a '66 Bronco with electric motors.

·
Administrator
18,402 Posts
Was there not optional electric wipers on a 66?..I would think so.

I used a VW wiper system on my old pickup.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Get the wiper system from an old Volkwagon Beetle or Van. It is all made in a one piece setup. You can cut it down are make it longer for whatever you need. I got one for my 39 chevy, flat windows. A friend of mine put the set up on his 36 Ford. Very little fab reguired and I got the entire set up at a salvage yard for $25 arms and everything.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I used a VW Jetta unit in my 39.Complete assembly like Chevy39 describes but was easier to find around here. Chevy39; Have you installed yours yet?I am having a bit of trouble getting enough degrees of sweep on the wiper arm,but still park down at the bottom of the windshield,and horizontal.I've been reshaping the Jetta arms.Maybe the bug or van arms are better.Have you looked for billet arms that fit that spline?Also did you doanything with your defrost housings?My wiper drive is in the way for them now. Sorry for stealing this post with my questions. Jim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
'66 Bronco wiper conversion

Thanks everybody - -
I like the idea of trying old VW or marine electric wiper motors because I want each wiper to operate independently. Ideally I can find motors with adjustable sweep angles. I do not want any arms or rotating parts to show (like they do on later Bronco's with electric wipers). The big issues will be getting the wipers to park parallel with the windshield frame and make an acceptable sweep angle. FYI - the Jeep part listed in Whitney says it sweeps 90 degrees - - that's not enough for a Bronco - - it would either park park at a funny angle and/or not wipe a good spot in front of the occupants.
I haven't measured the correct sweep angle yet - but I "eyballed" it at about 120 (?) degrees?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts