Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience on hot rodding a Gel Metro convertble?
I thought it might be fun but could the chassis support a bigger engine? Recommended engine and tranny? Would a 350 and tranny work? Would it be easier to start with a hot rod chassis and use the Geo body?
 

·
Grillin Randy
Joined
·
550 Posts
I read that Focus article in some magazine.

Anything is possible, just depends on how determined you are and how big your pocketbook is.

Is your Metro a 1.0 or a 1.3? I have read about turbocharged Metros that are pretty quick. A 1600 lb car shouldn't take to much to make it zippy.

I drive a Metro 1.0 5-speed, not real fast but it runs cheap. It will run down the interstate at 80 mph.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
edpent said:
Does anyone have experience on hot rodding a Gel Metro convertble?
I thought it might be fun but could the chassis support a bigger engine? Recommended engine and tranny? Would a 350 and tranny work? Would it be easier to start with a hot rod chassis and use the Geo body?
Just a couple things to consider:
GEO is a unibody so you'll need a chassis if your going to put any real power in it.
It's a short wheelbase so it will be a handful to control @ top end.

Not insurmountable obstacles just something to think about.
 

·
machinest & A&P Mechanic
Joined
·
363 Posts
i seen a pick somewhere of a little honda civic with a blown 454 in it.... the top of the blower was as tall as the roof of the car... i would imajion it would be the same type of build. the only orginal thing, the sheetmetal.
 

·
brains
Joined
·
1,009 Posts
I love small japanese cars with american big V8's. Nothings better then the feel of a tin can twisting under 550 foot pounds of torque and fearing for your life as the windows bust out.


:)
 

·
stuff'n things'n whatnot
Joined
·
356 Posts
Old School Nut said:
i seen a pick somewhere of a little honda civic with a blown 454 in it.... the top of the blower was as tall as the roof of the car... i would imajion it would be the same type of build. the only orginal thing, the sheetmetal.
I have a better pic somewhere but You get the point!
 

·
Instagram: partsretriever
Joined
·
1,622 Posts
I had a 1993 Saturn SC2- twincam coupe; those nice looking early sattys with the flip-up headlights (think Corvette). I always thought a LS1 and a Corvette 6-speed (they're in the back of the car with Corvettes; helps balance the car). it'd be fast and sick. If I could get the LS1 in the car without modifying the sheetmetal, that would be sweet. But I've heard of a Satty with a blown 3800v6.:thumbup: I don't dig Jap cars other than the old Z-cars much really, but little American cars with big v8s rock! Focus, my saturn if I were rich, etc.

I saw a Chevette with a big blown v8 between its fenders once. That thing was menacing.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
A Geo as a hotrod? I think you might want to check the " my momma dropped me on my head" forum. If you can't find anything there you might try the "my momma did too much acid when she was pregnant" forum.
OK, new kid, just poking some fun but IMO just forget wasting your time and money on that little turdbox and hoard all the money you save on gas until you can buy something that is better suited to even considering to be worthy of hotrodding.
 

·
Tazz
Joined
·
2,048 Posts
Anything can be done!!

If you put your money and mind to it but thats your choice...not to may will agree with your idea....I remember people shaking their heads when someone put a Hemi in a Gremlin....



Tazz



Rat Rods Rule!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,205 Posts
Re: Anything can be done!!

tm454 said:
If you put your money and mind to it but thats your choice...not to may will agree with your idea....I remember people shaking their heads when someone put a Hemi in a Gremlin....
As they should. A $15,000 engine in a $50 car should be met with mass disapproval.


Tazz



Rat Rods Rule!
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top