Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I guess we are getting someplace with the landspeed car..the car was at the Aerospace Expo and will be at The John Force Holiday show..It is also being profiled on the Discovery channel in one of the Megabuilders show..

Check out the site at www.landspeed.com

It is sure exciting to have some association with a project of this nature..

Sam

·
Registered
57 Posts
getting famous

I looked at the clip. That is awesome :evil: !!! What is your capacity on the project? That would be great in any capacity!

Keith

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am just a helper guy..do some labor and I work on the painting as well..

Sam

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
You're one of the people working on that car? Way cool. :thumbup:
When are they planning on making the official attempt?
Also, does the afterburner work? :D :D :D

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wish I could travel more with the guys..this last trip they got a tour of George Barris' shop..I do go up and help with what I can but we have some real experts there to help..

Record attempt we are not sure just when as there are a lot of adjustments to make and this has never been done before at least this way so there is lots to learn as we go..

The Afterburner does work and will be needed to make the record..

Sam

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I have scanned over the site and must say this is a very interesting project. The F-104 Starfighter was/is an interesting design that had only one thing in mind when built and that was to go very fast in a straight line. Turning in flight was not it's strong suit. Stopping it on the ground was a never ending challenge to the guys who flew this rocket. The drag chute used by the USAF had a 200Knots limit (224 mph) and attempts to use it at or above these speeds usually resulted in failures. Some examples of failures were streamers (did not blossom on deployment), blown out panels, busted shroud lines etc ). Since these chutes were used over and over, they became weaker and weaker and there was never any tracking of severe usages to try to remove excessively weakened chutes from service. The reason I bring this up is I don't see any technology that would produce a chute that would blossom and stay together at the lofty 800 mph speed (one big problem for the team to overcome). Next big problem I see is directional stability. While the F-104 design has the vertical stabilizer to do that job in the air, it's effectiveness on the ground is unknown at the speeds they are attempting. I hope there are wind tunnel tests available to determine this before any attempts are made. Are there wind tunnels that can generate supersonic air? My last concern would be keeping sufficient positive down force on the wheels, particularly when approaching supersonic. In flight, the bow wave is conical in shape but there is no ground surface to deflect it back against the lower surface of the airframe. Knowing the effects of the shock wave on control surfaces of an air craft and how these are compensated for, I see some big control problems for this air frame that is ground dependent for its vertical control axis!!

Good luck, OMT, to you and your team.

Trees

·
Hotrodders.com moderator
9,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
issues and issues

One of the blessings of this team is that there is a real "can-do" attitude about it..

As far as the chutes, they were designed and built by Ed DrumhellerII. Ed designed and built drogue shutes for NASA, The SR71 project as well as space capsule recovery chutes. He did this work so we are confident the ones he built for us will work at the speeds envisioned.

We have had the airframe completely scanned into some of the most sophisticated design software available so testing the aero will not be an issue. We do have a test program outlined so we can find out just where the issues are that may cause a problem and we can address those as they come up. The downforce component is a critical issue as yes if we get high pressure air (ground effect) this has to be accounted for in the operation of the vehicle.

We have a number of sponsors who are extremely interested in the project as they get to see just how their products and services work under extreme conditions.

I am sponsoring the paint for the project and am using Southern Polyurethane products exclusively as they work and stick..even over the afterburner area in the rear of the airframe. The SPI products also provide the corrosion resistance that we need for our equipment when then guys we are running on the Salt Flats as that is an extremely corrosive environment..

Sam

·
Registered
584 Posts
Wow I had no idea you were part of this project OneMoreTime. I saw the small documentary of it on Discovery a month or two back. Very interesting and quite the lengthy project. 10 years if I'm correct? Very cool that you actually got to be part of that monumental project.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts