Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, get this-
Here's my issue. My 95 cherokee sport still fires up and drives like a new ride, even with the remote start I put on it! 160,000 on the clock... Actually only one thing has failed me so far, and that is (of all things...) the freaking driver's side door! On every car I've worked on or built in the past, hinges have been bolted and shimmed from the a-pillar, and to the door. On the kee, the hinges are welded to the A-pillar and bolted to the door. I actually looked at that when I bought the truck and thought, man, that's not a good idea!! low and behold, the welds on the top hinge have separated from the A-pillar, and the door has been rendered unusable. I feel pretty ghetto sliding in and out of my pasenger door everywhere I go!

Well I did some research and it turns out that Diamler Chysler, in their infinite German wisdom noticed this design flaw too! In fact, they went so far as to engineer a replacement hinge for it and even put out a private bulleton about what was going on, what year vehicle it occured in, and how to use the kit to fix it, even mentions the proper tools to use and where to order them?!

So I know my door has a problem, chrysler knows they were poorly designed, but guess what? I get to pay 350 dollars to have them do the repair (I don't have the proper air-powered rivet gun to do a blind rivet of 7/16ths diameter, which is what the replacement hinge calls for).

Have any of you had this problem? How should I go about getting this thing solved?

BTW, here is a link to their admission of guilt:

PDF service bulleton

Thanks guys, I really feel like I'm getting fisted on this deal-

K:pain:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I drive a 92 Cherokee, same welded hinge. Recently the driver door began to sag, then the top hinge broke clean off. Had to weld it back on. I feal your pain, but theres no way I'd spend 350 for a bolt on hinge. Have someone hold the door in place, and weld away. If you don't weld, a shop can do it on the cheap.

·
il enforcer
75 Posts
I know how you feel. We bought a new Caravan last year and got hosed by the dealer ( switched vehicles ) service dept only does customer paid work on Saturday - NO warranty work and by Chrysler who refused to pay out their disability credit that we were entitled to.

Last June we told them to take their van and shove it. Boy were they mad.

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah I forgot to mention that there's no way I'd pay 350 for that, I have a wire welder, but my stick welder is MIA (with friends like these...) Think my wire will be hot enough?

K

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
how big is your welder? it's basically sheet metal right? find some scrap and get the HAZ as big as you can with out burn through, and go to town.:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
3,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah the A pillar is a little heavier than sheet... I'm just worried about getting good penetration. I really would like to use the rivets, but hey, whatcha gonna do!? I don't even have 350 dollars to piss away on this repair...

I guess it would be easier to weld, because you could tack it, check the alighment and if its not right you could knock it back loose with a hammer or screwdriver...

K

1 - 6 of 6 Posts