Hot Rod Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have one of those glass fuel filters in mu fuel line just above the valve covers. well the other day i did some adjustments on my car like change spark plug wire it was cracked and flipped the fuel filter around because it looked as if it was on backwards.well it ran on before i did this except for the fact i wasnt getting good spark. what i am woundering is can these fuel filter restrict fuel if on the wrong way?
i am having a bog at wot right now thats why i am woundnering this. also im thinking that the carb might be dirty from the marvel mystery oil i put in there so im going to get some carb cleaner and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to get rid of that glass filter. They are a fire waiting for a place to happen. They are even illegal in some states.

If it is sitting above your valve cover and it breaks where do you think the gas is going to go? It is going to go straight on your exhaust manifolds/headers. You will be a ball of flames before you know it's broken.

Royce

·
CLICK ON MY AVATAR
321 Posts
I hope by flipping it around you didn't suck all that crap intoyour engine????
PS do you have a nova?

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i wish i had a nova.
but the filter is SAFE it wont brake on the valve cover. i made sure of that. i have also been driving around like this for about 3 months without a problem. any no i didnt let all that crap get sucked into my engine. cleaned it out before replacing it. but im woundering can these filters restrict fuel if on the wrong way?

·
Administrator
18,429 Posts
The glass bowl needs to hang down, that's how it separates the dirt from the gas.

It is a fire hazard..............get rid of it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have one of these glass filters with replaceable filters. It does have indication which direction fuel flows (there are "IN" and "OUT" markings).

I don't know if it restricts flow if put upside down.

Regards!
Denis

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i guess ill just flip it back around for now and then get a different one as soon as i can. i was already told by a friends dad that there has been known problem with them braking on the valve cover and he also ask me to sell it to him for like $3 and he would give me a new fuel line so i could drive it. so i think i might just do that. i dont know what hes going to do with it maybe put it in his 68 impala for show purposes. but idk. i know it has tthe in and out words on it and the in was closest to the car and the out was closest to the pump. thats why i switched it around so the in was near the pump and out near the carb. and now im having problems.o yeah just to let a know i had a leak at first from the filter and a cracked spark plug wire and i was driving it like that for like a couple mins. i got lucky, real lucky i think. the fuel was dripping on the vc and the wire was right next to that. just one of many stupid things ive done.

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok i cant believe it!! i didnt touch my car since yesterday when it was bogging. just took it for a drive and it doesnt bog anymore. ***? i cant explain it but i fixed itself. all i know is yesterday i messed with the carb then drove it for 2 mins and it still bogged then parked it til now and didnt touch the thing now it doesnt bog. its weird.

·
Rebuilt Excitment
595 Posts
The glass fuel filters are not safe and will not pass NSRA safety inspection. They can and do break, if you are going to run one, it should have a bracket made so that it can not move under any circumstance.:nono:

·
Registered
185 Posts
glass filter and bog

Since you didnt fix it and its fixed (bog) ; there is trash in your carb. My truck had a glass filter that was on backward , I cleaned it and put it back right but it was too late. Ive been having hell with the carb. ; one minute it runs smooth the next bogging and running rough. Blow some compressed air through the carb by taking the fuel line loose and replacing with a short piece of hose. Also tap on the carb with a wrench or something a little heavy to maybe break loose the tiny obstruction in your carb passages . If that doesnt work take the bowl loose and clean out with cleaner.

·
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yes my filter is safe it will not move even if i drive off a cliff. but i dont know about my carb. it was running fine juist a little while ago like it never had a problem. im going to spray some cleaner down it anyways. as for the filter. after i put i back on the right way i noticed some small black particals in it like from the plastic or something. maybe thats way it ran like it did. it seems to run perfect again. no bog off the line. no bog anywhere. i only drive it for like 10mins tho. i did exactly what i did yesterday as of driving and i didnt have a problem. maybe those particals got stuck in the carb somewhere and cleared itself from starting it a couple times.

·
Tazz
2,048 Posts
REMOVE the glass fuel filter...they can/will break and cause a fire...I have seen the results and it is a mess...again REMOVE that glass filter...get a stainless one...looks cool too!!

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Yep, get that glass filter off of there.

Do not blow compressed air through the carburater.

Do not beat on the carburater with anything.

The filter should have a one way check valve in it.

And please use the spell checker.

Troy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Glass Filter

Take my advice and get rid of that glass filter.
I will tell you when I bought my mustang it had on of those filters on it also.
Is was in the same place as yours.
I also heard that they where trouble.
I will tell you the most dangerous thing about those filters not that thay are glass....It is where the glass meets up to the chrome.....This is where the glue lets loose as it did to mine.
I was Lucky I was setting up the timing at the time when I seen it trickling out of one side of the filter.
That would have been a disaster @ 110mph going down the track.
Do your self a big favor and through it out and get a steel canister style filter.
Hope that helps you.

·
BRB carring
522 Posts
even if it doesnt break, they leak where the glass and metal meet. its not worth it. why risk your vehicle just so u can have a cool looking glass filter.

·
Be American, Buy American!
222 Posts
My glass filter is great. It lets me monitor the fuel to see if there is trash in it. It is easy to clean and It has been running for the past 56 years with no problems, But, then again its not an inline type. Mine sits on top of the fuel pump down on the right front side at the bottom of the block. OEM for '48 Chevy. Gotta love it!

Al

·
Registered
2 Posts
Backwards on

ok i have one of those glass fuel filters in mu fuel line just above the valve covers. well the other day i did some adjustments on my car like change spark plug wire it was cracked and flipped the fuel filter around because it looked as if it was on backwards.well it ran on before i did this except for the fact i wasnt getting good spark. what i am woundering is can these fuel filter restrict fuel if on the wrong way?
i am having a bog at wot right now thats why i am woundnering this. also im thinking that the carb might be dirty from the marvel mystery oil i put in there so im going to get some carb cleaner and see if that does anything.
Some filters can work if on backwards, some will stop fuel flow and worst case; it works and you don't notice a problem until the fuel pump dies from having to overcome the resistance caused by the fuel filter being installed backwards. I would reinstall it in any case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some filters can work if on backwards, some will stop fuel flow and worst case; it works and you don't notice a problem until the fuel pump dies from having to overcome the resistance caused by the fuel filter being installed backwards. I would reinstall it in any case.

Just to be sure, if you've actually driven with it in backward, please replace it; I wouldn't want the crud that it's accumulated sent to the engine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.