Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Blowin' it
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My interior is finally done, and looks darn good. I had my glass guy go out to the upholstery shop to install them and put the window rubber in. I have never been this disappointed in a long time.

He did not even check to see if the glass fit in the recesses that the Willys' have, so they sit on the outside of the car. He literally put about 1/2" of urethane in between body and the glass. The windshield rubber is wavy, and not just a little. The rear glass is wavy, yes the glass is wavy.

I wish I could have been there, I would have had him stop completely and have the glass cut down. It just irks me to think that others do not always think about these things. Now I have to do it all again.

What would you do? I have not paid him for the install yet. Would you hold off paying him until corrected? Or would you pay him two times. I somewhat feel responsible, because I was not able to be there.

Jason

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone installer worth a crap would have stopped and called YOU when issues appeared. There is no way the individual couldn't have noticed the problem if they had to fill in that much.

Personally there is no way I would pay until it's resolved. If you pay then you're saying that the first round was ok. Of course you have to approach the situation properly which can be hard but should be worth it.

Just my 3 cents (inflation you know)

Edit: The car is too cool to have sloppy glass work. :)

-Stephen

·
Blowin' it
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't take it anymore, so I called him already this morning. He said he understood and would do it again. I basically told him that the glass is too big for the opening and needs to be cut and sanded down to correct size. I can deal with the two wavy back glasses, looks antigue to be honest with you. He says it is from the tempering process when it is heated, god forgid my side glasses look like this, I have not pulled them out to check, but will do so shortly.

Jason

·
Blowin' it
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree, he was going off what the glass company told him. The funny thing about it is, my door glasses that I had done by them are not wavy. They then went into saying that the small pieces wave. I said B.S.

Anyways, he is coming out this week to remove glass, make a new template, and start sanding it to size. I told him to take the small back glasses back and redo them.

Jason

3,214 Posts
" I somewhat feel responsible, because I was not able to be there."

There are many cases in life when you will have a "professional" do work, and you cannot be there. The idea of having someone else do the work, is that they are supposed to be "professional" and know what they are doing. That means how to do it right themselves! If you have to be there to tell them how to do it, you might as well do it yourself, unless you can't for physical reasons.

I do body and paint work at home for people, when time permits. They tell me what they want the car to look like, not how they want me to do it. The basic process it explained to them, but they don't tell me how to do it, or watch me do the work, to make sure I do it right. That's my job as the professional!

They should redo it, at no charge! If they don't do it to your satisfaction, they don't get paid a dime, period!

Aaron

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
I am assuming you are using a filler strip because you said the installer used 1/2" of urethane between the glass and body.

Glass does not get wavy edges from tempering. Tempered glass should not be used in your windshield anyway.
Windshield glass should be AS1 laminated and meet the specs in FMVSS 205.

Tempered glass CAN be in all of the other windows. Usually tempered glass is ordered from a glass manufacturer who cuts it from your template. Ask to see your glass guys oven. A pizza oven won't do as the glass is heated to 1100* F to temper it, AFTER it is cut..

I use AS1 laminated in all flat glass applications, and make the glass guy put the etched "AS1 safety glass" imprint or "bug" on the glass, as someone inspecting the car cant always see the edge once the glass is installed.

I have had glass for cars cut 3 times if I was not satisfied with the cut. I tolerate very little ineptitude from glass guys.

When doing a flush installation using the S10 strip I always make my own templates using 1/4" MDF and specify that it can be no bigger than the template, and no smaller than 1/16 under. I trial fit my filler strip dry and try to make it 1/4" gap.

Cars using H or S type gaskets get fit according to the gasket, with slightly more latitude in size.

An S10 filler strip (the most common one used ) will fit in a gap between 3/16" and 9/32". Any smaller than 3/16 and you will have trouble fitting it in , any bigger than 9/32 and you will have some trouble with the strip covering the gap.

Make him do it right or do not pay him for it. If he is reluctant, tell him you can post a company review here.

Hope this helps,
mikey

·
Blowin' it
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They should redo it, at no charge! If they don't do it to your satisfaction, they don't get paid a dime, period!
I have not paid him yet, and he knows I will pay when the job is done, and I am happy with it. What bothers me the most is having someone else do the work. I have done everything else except for this and the interior. He will do it he says.

Glass does not get wavy edges from tempering. Tempered glass should not be used in your windshield anyway.
The edges are not wavy, the whole dang glass is. He is already in the process of getting new ones cut for me.

Windshield glass should be AS1 laminated and meet the specs in FMVSS 205
Yes, definitely, the windshield is laminate.

Thanks,

Jason

·
Premium Member
4,097 Posts
So an installer is using glass cut for your car, made by some other company?
And the installer is the middleman and installer?

I can't understand why the whole glass would be wavy if it cut from a sheet of AS1? That type of glass comes in big sheets, and only needs to be cut to size. No further processing is needed, except to maybe sand the edge a little, I had alot of glass cut over the years and never saw wavy AS1.

It is good that he is willing to redo it.

Check the glass and approve it before he goes to install it. I always write my specs on the order so there is no dissagreement at pickup.

Later, mikey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts