Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!!

Im 16 years old and own a 1977 Camaro LT, 350 V8, Edel 4bl Carb, Performance Manifold, Dual Exhaust. And I'm wondering if anyone has heard or know what this car would sound like with glass packs on. Im wondering if i want to ask for them for Christmas or save up and buy some for Christmas money...And yes i just want them since there loud and, a high school car. Anyways if anyone could tell me what one's sound good or if they wouldn't sound good on this car please tell me why. :welcome:

Thank you all,

Orrie

·
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel
5,659 Posts
I have a set on an 85 El Camino and the best way I can describe the sound honestly is "white trash." It fits the Elky because its a totally trashed car; rust holes, sagging headliner, trashed interior, smoking engine. Add in the fact that I AM white trash and the picture is complete.

Glasspacks sound like the owner wanted it loud and cheap, so they skimped and bought the cheapest possible $20 muffler. If you want loud but sounds GOOD, I suggest race bullets from Borla, Dynomax, or summit. I also like the Flowmaster 30- and 40-series dual chambers.

I don't think it will make much difference on your low-po 350, but glasspacks flow poorly. Not a wise performance choice above about 200 hp.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'd go with something like dynomax super turbo muflers. You get a low tone that fits the era of the car. Also they are not obnoxious when driving normal but do have a nice rumble to them and sound off when you get into it. They don't cost alot either. Good compromise.
Bob

·
Home School Valedictorian
1,639 Posts
I would say forget the glasspack's also. The sound that you think is cool when you drive by your buddies is the same sound that will get the attention of the law enforcement community. Not a wise thing for a 16 year old to do.
Not what you are wanting to hear.

·
Analog man in a digital world.
2,252 Posts
I had glass packs on a '77 Camaro with a 305 and it sounded great, they had a deep mellow tone, no popping or cackling and they really toned down at cruise speed, everybody thought I had dropped a big block in it....... BUT.......... they haven't made that muffler for years now and as for anything else on the market today I have to agree with the others go with a turbo style muffler. Some of the exhaust manufacturer's have sound clips on their websites so you can listen to their product on different vehicles OR you can just go "hear"............... Exhaust Sound Clips.com

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thank you all for your help....and yes the law enforcement was a concern of my dad. But i know, so many of you think that turbo style would sound better?? Like the 30-40 series from flowmaster. I'll check it out, thanks again all.

·
Build it right the first time
227 Posts
If you want a muffler that performs well that has nice tone and looks like a glass pack, but doent let you hear that *white Trash In it* go with moroso spiral flows I had a set once and loved them

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah they all have the right idea.I originally had glasspacks on my truck.I did'nt like them.They were very restrictive,And did'nt impress me with the sound.
If you have the money get a set of flowmasters.My favorite are the super 40's but remember they are loud.There about 93 decibels at idle from 25 feet away in my truck.You sure you can live with the loud mufflers?30 series have a nice distinct sound to them.They make as much sound on the inside as they do on the outside.They are quieter than the 40 series though.
If thats out of your price range Summit makes a great turbo.If you want loud get a 14" muffler.
www.flowmastermufflers.com
www.summitracing.com

·
You got a leaky spark tube...
2,854 Posts
I agree that the Super 40s are loud, they're what I have on my Blazer now. I used to have a set of Flowmasters on it from when they were still called "two chamber" and not "40 series". Those were even louder.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Wow I have'nt seen a pair of those 2 chambers in a long time.I love those super 40's,But I also love noise.So yeah be prepared for it.
Just be careful you will attract a lot of attention,even some unwanted attention from the cops.Just remember that when youre getting this all set up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I really cant speak for those with dual exhaust, but When I got my truck with the 305 (Single 2.5" exhaust), I bought a good quality, thick steel louvered 18" glasspack to clamp to my 2.5 " system. I had the pipe then flare out to 3" out the back. It was really nice and mellow on idle and when I gave it any throttle, it had a really mean, low pitched growl that just screamed "pull me over". it was actually very impressice for a glasspack, but notice that it was much higher in quality than a cherry bomb. Honestly, I would go with a magnaflow for a really aggressive and rude tone...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts