Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have any tips for removing glass? I have to take the front and rear glass out of my '47 plymouth and i don't want to break anything.

Thanks,

JB

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have removed glass from several old vehicles and the best advice I can give you is....be very patient. Cut all of the old gasket material out of the way so you don't have to exert and bending pressure on the glass. Although glass can be very strong, it can break very quickly if it has any king of edge flaw or chip (stress riser). On the other hand, I once observed a guy force the rear window out of a 59 El Camino using all the force his two legs could develop. It finally popped out, no damage done! Again, take your time and be patient...and get a good razor knife.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hay guys on those Plymouths the moldings tighten the rubber and tighten the glass in the rubber. Without the moldings you would never to get the weatherstrip to seal.If there is no sealer when you take the moldings out of the car the glass will fall out.What Iam saying is as you tighten the inside moldings it seals the glass to the weatherstrip and body. It is the easyest glass to put in and out I have ever seen. ROY

·
Registered
43 Posts
As 454impala69 has already said "patience"!!!but a added tip-use a piece of "piano wire" about .020 or smaller & couple of short pieces of old broom stick---insert the wire between the glass & the body through the rubber. you'll need some extra wire length-- now wrap the wire around the broom sticks---possibly get a friend to work one side-pull the wire around with a sawing motion--"caution" this cuts very easy & fast most of the time so go slow beacuse it builds quite alot of heat(sometimes the rubber will smoke)and this heat can pop the glass.
"You can't have a better tomorrow if your thinking about yesterday all the time"

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hello the glass is not like the rest of the cars. You do not have to cut the glass out. Just take the molding off the inside and it will release the windows. ROY

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yes, your right ROY but when a rear glass for alot of 40's &50's cars goes for $400.00+ when you can find one---you beat & kick all you want but when one is "stuck" I take a wire and cut the rubber----just trying to give some less experienced guys some constructive "ideas"--if you'd rather like you put it--"I normally stay on the other side of the Board"--Paul

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the ideas guys. I did manage to get the side rear glass out after i cut around the weatherstripping. The edge was kind of painted over, but once i got that broke the glass literally fell right out of the window. On the rear glass though, i ended up cutting the rubber. I tried and tried to push it thru but it just wasn't happening.

Thanks,

John B.

·
Registered
137 Posts
AFTER SPENDING MORE THAN 30 YEARS ON THE GLASS BUSINESS I THINK I'LL CORRECT A CPL OF YOU GUYS, THATS IF YOU DON'T MIND.

FIRST OF ALL WHENEVER YOU TALK ABOUT REAR WINDOW IN A CAR EVEN GOING WAY BACK THERE WERE TEMPERED GALSS GUYS NOT LAMINATED LIKE YOU FIND IN A WINDSHIELD AND ALL SIDE GLASS UP TO ABOUT 1962 THIS IS WHEN THEY STARTED CURVING SIDE DOOR GLASSES, NOW WHEN THEY DID THAT THOSE GLASSES WERE ALL TEMPERED. WHAT YHAT ACTUALLY MEAN IS THEY START WITH A REGULAR PC OF 1/8 - 3/16 OR WHATHAVE YOU AND HEAT TEMPER THE GLASS MAKING IT VERY STRONG SO THIS IS WHY THE GUY PUSHING A BACK WINDOW OUT 454 DIDN'T BREAK IT. IF HE TRIED THAT WITH LAMINATED GLASS HIS FEET WOULD BE HANGING OUT THE FRONT OF THE WINDSHIELD.

ALL CARS UP TO THE EARLY 60 HAD LAMINATED SAFETY GLASS IN ALL WINDOWS ACCEPT THE REAR WINDOW.

TODAY ALL GLASS BUT THE WINDSHIELD IS TEMPERED. WHY YOU ASK ISN'T THE WINSHIELD MADE TEMPERED IF IT'S SO GOOD? THINK WHAT MIGHT HAPPEN IN A CRASH IF YOUR HEAD HIT THE TEMPERED GLASS, MAYBE A BROKEN NECK..

ANYWAY THAT MY CLASS ON AUTO GLASS FOR TODAY ;)

BOMO

·
Hotrodders.com Moderator
2,854 Posts
the wrecking yard way: when i was younger we used a sharp,thin flexible putty knife to cut the rubber away. tempered glass we sprayed deisel or wd 40 to soften the glass putty, then cut through the putty from the inside, sliding the putty knife towards the outside of the window edge, the oil softens the putty and lubes the putty knife as you slide it along the glass. it's easier done on a warm day. push gently as you cut, you'll feel the window loosen.

·
36 Dream
201 Posts
36 Ford Coupe door glass

Any tips on removal of subject?....You can't even see the glass from the inside of the door. Does it come out the top some how?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts