Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could swap my stock cat (rattling and worn out) with a glasspack and if that would cause any problem with the down stream O2 sensor. the one behind the cat. Would that cause the computer to freak out? thanks for you time.
Oh yeah I have a '97 chevy z71 pick up with a 5.0. 3:73 gears and Im trying to find out why it has poor low end power.

·
Registered
15,621 Posts
I was wondering if I could swap my stock cat (rattling and worn out) with a glasspack and if that would cause any problem with the down stream O2 sensor. the one behind the cat. Would that cause the computer to freak out? thanks for you time.
Oh yeah I have a '97 chevy z71 pick up with a 5.0. 3:73 gears and Im trying to find out why it has poor low end power.
This is an OBD-2 system the computer looks for free oxygen ahead of the converter to tell what corrections need to be made to the fuel injection to correct the mixture ratio. The downstream O2 sensor is looking to see how effective the converter is operating and uses that data to correct mixture ratios and set codes for converter replacement. The system is not going to like replacing the cat with either a piece of pipe or a muffler without also the expense of modifying the computer program running the fuel injection and ignition timing.

While not technically legal (especially in California), an aftermarket 3 way converter with suitable pipe sizing for your system will work just fine for several years. Catco, Magnaflow and others are in the popular catalogs and on line at reasonable prices. I use these things on many of my street builds for the greater Seattle area as we are tested every other year against California emission standards, but not for the technical installation. So if an OBD-1 blows clean exhaust and has no codes or an OBD-2 shows no codes, you're good to go. They don't crawl underneath here to see what equipment is there like they do in California.

Bogie

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.