Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Just a firefighter
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know I've been asking alot of questions, and some may have been a little off the wall but I've never painted a car before, so the only dumb question is the one I don't ask and mess up all my work,so heres another one.
When I've been doing some of the filler work needed I've gotten a couple of small air bubble holes in it, is it alright to fill these with glazing putty?? They are very small but I don't really want to add more filler.

Thanks for understanding what I don't. :D

·
Shop Owner And Troll Hunter
2,643 Posts
Sand them out and redoit, or use two part urathain glaze, it workes for me. A good quality filler wont give that much trouble, Put it on and leave it alone, don`t keep trying to get it smoother. good luck

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Well, I would say definately use the glaze. I am wondering if there is some reason the above posters say not to. I use the crap out of it. I usually coat the entire area of filler and sand it smooth. Then prime, sand, seal. It is next to impossible to get filler sanded out with no air holes in my experience. You have two choices: lots of high build primer to fill the pin holes or glazing putty.

Any pros want to jump in with the "right" answer....HK....CollinsMoCo...TLambert

Chris

·
Registered
533 Posts
IMHO..... I fill and smooth as good as I can get, prime with high build and wet sand as smooth as possible, then fill the little imperfections w/glazing putty (catalyzed) sand smooth, prime or seal one final time- wet sand and color coat. If it is sealed or primed the 'spot putty' is no different than thick primer- won't hurt a thing...(again in my humble opinion!) :cool:

·
2,643 Posts
If you fill the sand scratches and air bubble holes with primer or plain glazing putty, it will shrink after you paint, and show through.

I build show cars and street rods. I buy my glazing putty by the case.(2 part urathain)
It will not shrink. You should sand of all you can. The camaro in my Avaiter (?spelling?) was painted in 94 Still no shrinkage. In 98 it won
overall Grand champion ISCA (world of wheels)It is still showable.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Where do you guys get the two part putty? All of the stuff at my local store is one part....at least what I have seen and used. I have noticed that the uncatalyzed stuff always shrinks a bit after application. You have to let it cure for a day or two before sanding it or it will shrink like mentioned above. I usually just shoot a coat of build primer after the putty and then sealer. Never really had problems with it showing through after that, but it would be nice to use some catalyzed stuff.

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,453 Posts
I thought that is what the glazing putty was made for - to fill scratches and bubbles! Anyway, go to your local automotive paint supplier. They should have several types of Evercoat 'bondo' type glazing putty which is about as good as you can get. I have never asked why there are several types, I just always get the blue stuff. Guess I should ask, huh?!? Is basically a high quality, very fine textured bondo that goes on just like body putty but fills, feathers out, and sands easier than the regular body filler.

Incidentally, the blue Evercoat glazing putty is the ONLY thing to use in customizing plastic models.

·
Registered
87 Posts
All one part glazing putties will shrink. But only in the first day or so. You must leave it for a day or two before sanding.

If you want a quicker method go to a hobby shop and get two part epoxy putty. Dries quickly, sticks like hell, doesn't shrink, water and solvent proof.

For larger repairs I use the less exensive plumbers epoxy putty from Home Depot. Much cheaper than the hobby store putty but not as fine. Both sand easily and finish smooth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have used evercoat polyester puttie for years its 2 part and will not shrink give it 20 min or so and block sand it with 180 grit dry paper and prime with high build 2 part primer

·
2,643 Posts
I use putty-coat mastic/polyester glazing and spot putty by bondo.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
my exp. with the bondo spot glazing putty has led me to the conclusion "it sucks."

get the 2 part stuff by rage. trust me.:thumbup:

catalyzed = 2 part. yes.

not to be contradictory to Troy. he gets cranky like that....:p

·
2,643 Posts
I've never had any trouble using the bondo brand.

Troy

69 ss rs full custom camaro 98 ISCA grandchampion
69 ss rs bb camaro wifes driver
66 Elcamino 350/all dz parts,ac,windows,loaded,my driver
69 ss chevelle bb conv.fresh frame off
26 T sedan street rod

·
Just one of the guys
3,074 Posts
Instead of asking your jobber for "glazing", ask him for "icing". A lot of glazings are the single part that is like a super thick primer (Spot-n-Glaze is one) and will shrink. Icing is a two part and is more like a thinned down body filler. Mixes just like body filler, is a little runnier, dries in about 10 minutes ready to sand and doesn't bleed through like the older lacquer type glazings.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Kevin45 said:
Instead of asking your jobber for "glazing", ask him for "icing". A lot of glazings are the single part that is like a super thick primer (Spot-n-Glaze is one) and will shrink. Icing is a two part and is more like a thinned down body filler. Mixes just like body filler, is a little runnier, dries in about 10 minutes ready to sand and doesn't bleed through like the older lacquer type glazings.

Kevin
The icing is a great product and they also make a Half-time that the thickness is between the icing and body filler.
All the two parts by the filler companies are pretty good, some thinner than others.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts