Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For interior door cards and other trim pieces I use the 4' x 8' fiberglass panels that are found at Lowes. Think they are used to build showers. I use it because it will not absorb moisture and swell. Lately I have had to repair a few panels due to the vinyl not sticking to the card. The glue I'm using is Weldwood Landau Top and Trim that I get from an upholstery supplier. My procedure is to coat each part (card and vinyl) then wait several minutes and stick them together. They seem to hold well but 6 months later they come apart. What am I doing wrong?

·
Slow but willing learner
5,210 Posts
Scuff the panel with 80 grit paper. Coat both surfaces to be glued and wait until the glue feels dry to the touch before sticking it. Also, press firmly on the glued area.

One other thing. If you are using the closed cell Landou top foam glue does not like to stick to it umless you knock down the shine by lightly sanding it with 80 grit also.

John

·
Registered
274 Posts
Contact cement. But you need to follow application directions. Apply to both surfaces evenly, let dry to firm tacky. Then apply fabric to panel but position correctly as you only get one shot. You may require a second set of hands. But believe me it will stick.

I’ve used the only weld wood in the red can if that makes any difference .....I don’t know.

I can add metal is tough to glue since it is so smooth. May need two applications of glue to build a base. Your application should not require a second application.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,371 Posts
scuffing will help better than waiting, you got no bite
you should be able to touch it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts