Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
252 Posts
Make sure the case isn't cracked. If the case is good to go, it looks like you need....

The links are for part number reference. Various suppliers carry them with varying availability. I'm assuming you're in Germany? Without knowing what salvage parts you may or may not have access to and what shipping cost may be, the best course of action here is tough to determine.

·
Registered
1979 Chevrolet Malibu 496-TH400-9" (cruiser). 1992 Chevrolet S10 355-700r4-7.625" (daily driver).
252 Posts
Yes, cone style. I was thinking that if the case and the cone style gears were intact, you could still install the parts listed.

I'm glad you checked with Summit Racing. I apologize if I passed on incorrect advice.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Hi folks,

please take a look at this blown Auburn...

Where i can find any replacemt parts for this M 10 BOLT 7.5 - 26 SPLINE POSI rear???
What engine is in front of this and how much power? I blew two factory posi units with a 402 big block before I went a different route. I called Auburn direct and had them build me a posi to suit my power needs. Just something to think about before risking breaking it again. The factory side gears are a weak link in those units.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
What engine is in front of this and how much power? I blew two factory posi units with a 402 big block before I went a different route.
Yes, the 7.5" 10-bolts were used mostly behind V-6 engines, and possibly 305s. My 55 Chevy car had one installed by a previous owner. I never broke anything, but it was probably an accident waiting to happen behind a 350 and a Muncie (later a 327).

The upgraded 7.625" version was a little stronger due to larger pinion bearing and 28-spline axles (vs. 26). They were even used in Camaros and Firebirds, but were a common point of failure behind 5.7 liter V-8s. I've heard that one of the problems was housing flex, and that using a cast and ribbed aftermarket rear cover with studs to stabilize the bearing caps will help. Cheap insurance if you plan to keep your 7.5". Mine had one similar to this:

Automotive tire Hood Tire Camera accessory Motor vehicle

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yes, the 7.5" 10-bolts were used mostly behind V-6 engines, and possibly 305s. My 55 Chevy car had one installed installed by a previous owner. I never broke anything, but it was probably an accident waiting to happen behind a 350 and a Muncie (later a 327).

The upgraded 7.625" version was a little stronger due to larger pinion bearing and 28-spline axles (vs. 26). They were even used in Camaros and Firebirds, but were a common point of failure behind 5.7 liter V-8s. I've heard that one of the problems was housing flex, and that using a cast and ribbed aftermarket rear cover with studs to stabilize the bearing caps will help. Cheap insurance if you plan to keep your 7.5". Mine had one similar to this:

View attachment 620827
Mine was in an 84 Cutlass with a v-6 diesel. I even twisted a couple sets of stock axles in it when I put in the 408. I bought a set of aftermarket axles but they turned out to be 30 spline. Got them from Superior. Don't know if they're even in business anymore. Turns out they were an upgrade for a mid sixties Nova but the dimensions were the same for a 7.5 10-bolt. So, I called Auburn and asked if they could make me a heavy duty posi with 30 spline side gears and they said no problem. Everything fit like a glove with new 3.42 richmond gears and new bearings and seals. Held up to tremendus street abuse and a few low 13 second rips in the 1/4.
Just sold the car to a friend minus engine and trans. He's gonna put a 454 in it so I think I'll talk him into that rear cover for a little extra insurance lol. If there's a weak link in the drivetrain his lead foot will find it!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine was in an 84 Cutlass with a v-6 diesel. I even twisted a couple sets of stock axles in it when I put in the 408. I bought a set of aftermarket axles but they turned out to be 30 spline. Got them from Superior. Don't know if they're even in business anymore. Turns out they were an upgrade for a mid sixties Nova but the dimensions were the same for a 7.5 10-bolt. So, I called Auburn and asked if they could make me a heavy duty posi with 30 spline side gears and they said no problem. Everything fit like a glove with new 3.42 richmond gears and new bearings and seals. Held up to tremendus street abuse and a few low 13 second rips in the 1/4.
Just sold the car to a friend minus engine and trans. He's gonna put a 454 in it so I think I'll talk him into that rear cover for a little extra insurance lol. If there's a weak link in the drivetrain his lead foot will find it!
Hoe much you paid for this auburn unit?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts