Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm redoing my rearend this winter and I just pulled the existing 1972 10 bolt 8.5" posi-traction 28-spline carrier and 2.73 ring gear assembly out of the housing. I will be replacing that stuff with a 30-spline, 3.90 setup. After pulling the carrier assembly out, I saw the shims sitting there - one on each side. when I took out the shims, I noticed there was slight damage to the housing where the shim sets against the housing. A small piece of steel had broken off each side of the housing.

I think it will be ok, but I am no expert with this and am not sure what to do. What do you guys think? at least 90% of the material is still there for the shim to seat against. should I just install and setup the new carrier and go with it or does it need to get repaired or something?

thanks.

Lee

·
72NOVA454
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
M&M CUSTOM said:
Any way you can post a picture of it?
you know what buddy, someone else at another bulletin board forum may have already solved the problem. He said this is a factory created opening (even though it looks like a piece of the housing cracked off!) that allows the gear lube to enter the axle tube housing!!!!

makes sense - just doesnt look like a factory provided opening to me but the guy who answered the question represents some auto service center.

Lee

·
Premium Member
2,233 Posts
Just trying to help out there, and without a picture to go on, and a whole pile of these "axle-looking" things laying around here, I just can't quite mentally picture what exactly you happen to be describing.

I've been actually hands on with drivetrain parts through the entire GM line of vehicles for 18 years now. Like I said, just trying to help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts