Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any ideas wat causes the upper intake to explode on the gm series II 3800 engines?

we looked at a 2000 something bonneville a bit ago to maybe pick up as a repair job

and wow the entire upper intake is busted apart

too much fuel ?

bad MAF sensor?

pressure regulator?

wow..

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I've never heard of one blowing up but i know the Series II 3800 had issues with the intake manifolds. Leaking gaskets and cracks/breaks. The intakes are plastic, as they are on many engines nowadays. And yes, they were recalled. I dont know if they fixed the issue so it doesnt happen again or if they just fix replace the intake with a new part and call it good.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
well it wasnt using water or burning it or anything like they usually do

it literally exploded apart

whats the cause?

does anyone know?

is the engine toast?

or is it something that is fixable with a sensr and new intake

or what ?

i need to find out ASAP quick like yesterday

leakign water due to a crack was dirt common yes we have replaced many

but thats not whats going on with this one

at all

dealer service counter guy said he has never seen or heard of one do this

http://www.automotivehelper.com/topic501452.htm

bad fuel regulator
ruptured

fuel sucking in throguh the vac hose to it

mis time spark and cranking

kaboom

found the answer!

thanks!!

·
WFO
5,030 Posts
About all I can think of is a hung intake along w/intermittent spark/no spark that would allow a lot of fuel to collect before igniting explosively. If it did it once, there's no guarantee it won't happen again unless you for sure find and fix the cause. Could've done a lot more damage when it went boom, too. Sensors, injectors, who knows. I'd pass on it.

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
buying the car today for dirt cheap 400 bucks its a spotless car blueleather interior silver gray color only one minor ding in the entire car body no rust

we will fix this real quick and sell it for around 3k or something

we have lots of 3800 intakes and rails with regulators and MAF snesors from so many 3800 engine swaps weve done

so it will be free repair

time to hook up to the car trailer

thanks

·
Saitek5678
94 Posts
saitek5678

Now I remember, yes, all it takes is a backfire through the intake and you can call it a day for for plastic.....Thoughs engineers at GM....my god! I guess they will get paid regardless thanks to Obama.

·
Registered
1 Posts
01 Bonneville

I have an 01 bonneville that did the same thing, I just bought it for 500.00 bucks can you tell me did the fuel regulator fix yours? I was thinking it was the regulator or maybe a bad injector but wasnt sure. please let me know

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.