Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have 454 with smallhirise a 750 duel feed holley need to know how big of a cam ican go to.

[ March 27, 2002: Message edited by: Chris ]</p>

·
Registered
19 Posts
bigger is not always better. what do you want to do with the car? Race it or drive it on the street. If its on the street go for a smaller cam that produces neck breaking torqe. if you want to race it then you can go big but youll need to deal with fouled spark plugs if idled to long,rough idle, and if it's a auto tranny youll have to have a high stall speed converter because youll have a higher idle just to keep the car running. thats all fine for the track but it gets old real quik on the street

·
Registered
12 Posts
The key to makeing power in a big block is a good roller cam and decent heads. if you are running a low rise tunnel-ram with dual 750's you must have the heads, my suggestion would be: 266/[email protected] like crane PN:138821, this is a race cam that can do occational street duty. for a more streetable yet max power cam id go:252/[email protected] like crane SR (street Roller)

hope it helps

·
Registered
19 Posts
My cam of choice was a complete Isky cam kit # 396-265/275 with a 265 & 275 duration, .530 & .552 lift & 112 lobe seperation. This kit comes with roller cam, hydraulic roller lifters(no need for constant adjusting), push rods, valve springs, retainers,timing gear lock, cam button,spring shims,and moly lube, all for around $800.00 from summit racing. If youve checked out roller cam prices you know that's a bargin. And you get a smooth idle and can use your stock coverter. Very streetable performance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts