Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i need to find out some info on the late 80s mid 90s little 60 degree gm v-6 engines

theres the 3.0L in the late 80s

theres the 3.1

the 3.3

the 3.4

and the 3.8

now, we are removing the cylinder heads on a 97 3.1 currently to replace a leaking head gasket and i was always under the impression that the 2.8 and 3.1 were identical engines and had conventional heads that did not split at the pushrods like the 3.4 heads do

well i was wrong

these 3.1 heads are split design

recently i was working on a 3.4 engine for the first time ever, in a 93 bird, and well i found out about this split head design the fun way.

we used to have an 88 or so grand am with a v-6 engine we had to remove and install the heads on it twice due to bent valve issues

i could not remember what v-6 was in it
but i looked it up online and found that it would have been a 3.0 engine for a couple years i didnt even remember about and from what pics i could find of 3.0 heads they are old conventional non-split style

now, when i look up cylinde rheads for a 3.0 it comes back with 3.8 heads also
and when i look up 3.3 heads it also comes back with 3.8 heads

so apparently these three engines all use conventional non split style heads ?

and the 3.1 3.3 and 3.4 all use split style heads ?

right?

i cant believe i ahve bene wrong and been confused this long

i thought only the 3.4 was the oddball with split heads

wow.

hmm

thanks for anything

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 2.8. 3.1, 3.4 60* V-6 front wheel drive engines use dished pistons and aluminum cylinder heads. The 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 rear wheel drive engines use flat top pistons and cast iron heads.

You can now add the 3.5. 3.6 and 3.9 engines in the mix for front wheel drive.

The 3.0, 3.3, 3.8 are all cast iron cylinder heads and blocks for production 90* V-6. There's some good aluminum stuff out there (mostly Indy car items), but it's as rare as hen's teeth.

·
Old(s) Fart
6,014 Posts
Ohio-Dan said:
The 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4 are 60* Chevy motors....

The 3.0, 3.3, and 3.8 are 90* Buick motors....
And don't forget the 4.1 Buick motor. The Buick motors have an added level of confusion, as the motors were significantly redesigned when they went to the Series II 3800 configuration. The heads and exhaust port spacing was changed. The bellhousing was changed from the normal BOP bolt pattern to the GM Metric bolt pattern (same as used on the 60 degree motors). Even the RWD versions of the Series II 3800 motors, as used in the fourth gen F-body cars, used the metric bellhousing.

·
Alberta Bud
138 Posts
IcU812 said:
The 2.8. 3.1, 3.4 60* V-6 front wheel drive engines use dished pistons and aluminum cylinder heads. The 2.8, 3.1 and 3.4 rear wheel drive engines use flat top pistons and cast iron heads.

You can now add the 3.5. 3.6 and 3.9 engines in the mix for front wheel drive.

The 3.0, 3.3, 3.8 are all cast iron cylinder heads and blocks for production 90* V-6. There's some good aluminum stuff out there (mostly Indy car items), but it's as rare as hen's teeth.
Both Ford and Buick use 3.8 v6 front drive engines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.