Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
True Hotrodder
1,470 Posts
So right around 2030 - who is going to bother buying vehicles from GM? Those that want an electric will wait and those that want gas/diesel will purchase elsewhere to insure that they can get parts and future service on it. Bye-Bye GM.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I think all of the Big 3 will do it in the US and most Import cars will also. The difference is GM is announcing it now and the others aren't. I believe gas and diesel fuel supply will dwindle per federal regs and fuel prices and taxes will dramatically increase, forcing motorists to go electric. Not to mention an imposed Carbon Tax from state and / or federal governments. Face it we'll be driving electric cars in the future. I just hope the whole world does the same because the US alone won't make much of a difference in a Global sense. I see an electric conversion on my street rod in the future.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
In 2035 I would be 85 , not very likely I'll make it , my experation date is about 2025, I think what bothers me about this car thing, among other things, that I worked so hard at it , & learned so much about it & its just going to go away , leaves you feeling like it was all for naught.... We lived rural america growing up , I learned how to bank a coal furnace , clean an oil furnace , then maintain gas . Also gas & diesel engines , all going or gone away !

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The political winds dictate this (hollow) announcement. When the wind blows in another direction there will be a recalculation on going electric. As it stands right now the average street in the U.S. can't electrically withstand the charging burden. Add to that wind and solar are will make it necessary to charge during the day. Lots of problems with no real solutions. You can bet that our electric bill will zoom to say the least.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,388 Posts
once electric vehicles become the new norm and start winning at all the major tracks, you'll understand better. i assume the next round of 58 truk will be electric, though i doubt i will be around for that one. battery and charging technology need to improve drastically, especially the charging end. i'm already an EV convert, have been for 10 years, my local vehicle is an 2003 club car 48v electric

and yes. it does donuts ;)

·
Slow but willing learner
5,244 Posts
I guess in 2035, I won't care if my motorcycle goes potato, potato or not. I will be 90. At least my remains will be.

It is sad though to see the technology we all have loved becoming obsolete. I am really thankful that I have lived during this period in history and experienced the things I have.....and had heat, A/C, running water, and electricity while living it. How blessed we have been.👍

John

·
Registered
865 Posts
Electrical power generation and infrastructure are presently nowhere near adequate to handle electric cars and trucks. It's being shoved down our throats without enough forethought. If you want something totally screwed up, put it in the hands of the government. Opinions will vary.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
C'mon forum. Still can't like a post server error !!!WTF Is this Busch league forum control .....second string ( or third !) Facebook rejects ???

·
Registered
151 Posts
The bottom line is, can electric really work? i don't care what anyone thinks/feels; Look at the new GM logo----look who is running the company........ If electric did/could work, wouldn't we be using it now? Car companies have been trying electric for over 100yrs. i think this may be further "bandwagon" type thinking that baby boomer and gen x "leaders" tend to migrate to...

i'm not totally opposed to electric, and in some cases welcome it; For example at my work, i don't work in the warehouse, but i feel electric forklifts would be much quieter/cleaner/less nerve racking than internal combustion (we use propane). i don't think we can use it because it takes too long to charge?

Hybrids, i can see as viable, but even that, i don't feel is going to be mainstream.

Let's be clear: If it CAN work, then i'm not opposed to it. After all, i'm already a v-6 and 4 cyl freak.....

2) One bad thing about the Biden administration is that they are pushing for this. (more misguided "management," i'm afraid.....)

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Electric may work in an urban setting but what about situations like I'm in where the next town is 60 miles away. Would have to stay over night to charge up for the trip home. Of course we can't bring up problems such as an electric tractor to plow the north 40, semis to carry goods across the U.S., electric air planes and don't forget ships.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I should be out of the buying market by then, thank god. But if not I will NOT be a GM customer. I best give my boys more training on keeping the old stuff we have now running.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Let’s see what I have that requires fuel. Diesel tractor, 5 vintage cars, Corvette, truck, wife’s car, the weed wacker, the pressure washer, go cart for kids, 2 kerosene heaters, all gas heat & appliances, out door grill, and the chainsaw. Do I sound like a guy that is into electric power with stowage batteries......I think not.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,388 Posts
Electric may work in an urban setting but what about situations like I'm in where the next town is 60 miles away. Would have to stay over night to charge up for the trip home.
i guess i'm trying to figure out the math to where a 350 mile range wouldn't get you home from a 60 mile ride into town. yes range will always be an issue, otr trucks will either need to do quick battery swaps or charging times will need to improve. this won't happen over night or even this decade, you'll just notice more and more ev's on the road and suddenly gas burners will be the minority. it might be 50 years down the road

·
Registered
316 Posts
i guess i'm trying to figure out the math to where a 350 mile range wouldn't get you home from a 60 mile ride into town. yes range will always be an issue, otr trucks will either need to do quick battery swaps or charging times will need to improve. this won't happen over night or even this decade, you'll just notice more and more ev's on the road and suddenly gas burners will be the minority. it might be 50 years down the road

50 years will cover my kids life span but not my grand kids. I’m thinking they may still possibly have grandpa’s cars but fuel as you say may be an issue.

Diesel will be one of the last to go because of farming and trucking of all types.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Ok there will always be gas vehicles. Electric takes work and even the fastest chargers will never be as fast as a gas pump.
The problem is the demands of these super charging stations.

Charging needs to be thought of diffrently.

Lower demand charging stations are what will spread the electric car.
Being able to plug in at the store, at the parking meter, at work, at hotels, at restraunts with these things having less demand on the grid will allow for battery tech to naturally progress.
These low amp low initial cost chargers could be a courtesy like wi-fi is currently.

If I told you that you could charge you car while you eat at this restraunt for free(while keeping your car warm/cool) vs that restraunt guess where I am going.

Charging stations have the appeal to attract business. But right now everyone expects a 15 to 30 minute super charger which requires a large investment. Having a lower cost lower amp station will spread them.

The thing is that most of these chargers charge really fast at lower percentages then slow way down. Charging more often will allow for less "down time" while your doing other things.

Now another area that will help electric cars that also goes with lower amp charging stations is cutting the cord.

Imagine a parking curve or parking lot barrier being a wireless charging station. Pulling next to the thing and once it senses your high amp battery it waits say 10 seconds then begins charging. It may take 40 hours from a dead state to fully charge that battery. But if the things are all over the place then your going to encounter them everywhere and not going to be totally dead. For those instances then fast chargers could be used. The low amp chargers could be added to virtually any business or city and be as safe as a street light. This idea is also backward compatible to current electric cars.

Thinking more universal like having free low amp charging stations all over the place would not only allow for the electric car to spread but would allow for battery tech to catch up with demand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That will 15-years from now, and I don't see it as an issue because there are a lot of auto manufacturers that will still produce diesel cars in the future.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Never say always, never, all, every, none, etc. There are exceptions to everything. Many of the powers that be are convinced that global warming must be reversed and we only have about 10 to 12 years to do it before it is irreversible. I did a bunch of calculations comparing an economy gas car to an all-electric car to a gas SUV. This is the cost to fuel each of these cars for 60 miles at 60 MPH. I used a gas price of $2.35/gal and my domestic electric rate of $.2242/kWh per my latest electric bill. Below are my results:

Chevy Trailblazer getting 18 MPG would cost $7.83 to drive 60 miles.

Honda HRV getting 34 MPG would cost $4.15 to drive 60 miles.

Chevy Bolt using 300 Wh/mile would cost $4.04 to drive 60 miles.

You can see the Honda and the Chevy Bolt cost close to the same to run. Now if gasoline prices double, the Chevy Bolt looks a lot more attractive. The new administration will most likely cause gas prices to go up dramatically making us rethink electric cars. It's a scary game being played with all of us paying the price.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts