Hot Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 99 Posts

Registered
famous last words 馃ぃ
No I am confident that it will always be around.
Even if everyone was given a 350 mile range 400hp equivlant 4 door car or truck tax free tomorrow and it was required this be your main means of transportation through heavy fees and a $12/ gallon gas price.

Your still going to have people driving the gas powered toy on the weekends or to car shows.

I actually planned on gas costing around $7/gallon by 2020 when it went above $4.50 and big blocks became a bad thing. I was buying 454 and 468's powered rides like they had a 305.
I know if you want a toy with a big block that also requires a $1000 to $3000 kicker car with a 4 cylinder (stick) that you use as a main. On a bad day the kicker gets 2 to 3 times the mileage or the big block.

Do I care that the big block gets 6mpg?
Not at all.

If you enjoy something then you eat the cost to enjoy it.

Here is the thing currently a electric conversion will cost you around 10k to do right and that only gives you 200 to 250 mile range.

Even in something light like a speedway special 30's model T. Using a nissan leaf motor and prius battery pack your still hard pressed to stay under $5000 to power and control the motor.

But if the motor and pack come down to $2000 for a "kit" and there is a network in place to support "convient charging" then it would make sence to say replace that 4 cylinder with electric vs rebuilding it.

Actually some of the newer blocks have coatings on the cylinder walls and the 2 or 3 piece block is no longer able to be overbored. The cylinder dimensions are fixed and that part of the block deemed a throw away part vs machining. New trend that allows for reduced manufacturing cost.

I have heard of GM claims and really dont trust them.
My first new car was going to be the HyWire. Set to be released in 2008. So I scrape and save because this skateboard idea had great promise. Any platform from sports car to truck could be placed on this skateboard. The thing allowed for great mileage while being safe. I am going to own this car.

Well despite all the coverage of the thing driving and all the promises made. The release date was pushed back and back and further freaking back. The HyWire is now a concept. One of GM's many lies.

Ok so screw the HyWire whats this elio thing?
Yea a metro inspired 2 seater. I could get behind that. Still waiting and ready to buy.. .

I take GM statement of all electric in 14 years as a obtainable goal. Of course people also made statments of flying cars by (insert date) at some point.

If it happens it happens. Until it happens it is pointless to talk about. After it happens gas will still be here and old cars will still be driving around. They may need something on the bumper so the self driving cars can see them. But all electric production cars by whatever date will not eliminate the gas engine. Just lessen its use.

Registered
You remember when the whole talk about "oooohhhh 4 cylinder turbo cars are the future etc.?" (coming mostly from ford execs. ironically......) i remember it.

40 years later, it still hasn't happened. Ok, granted the new silverado pickup does have a 4cyl-----but it still can't tow as much as the 6cyl.....or 8.

Not putting anyone down, but can any of these car company leaders and executives actually change a spark plug?

That answer could lend to their credibility regarding broad statements concerning technology.

Registered
Aircraft can you say airplane last I knew they use fuel. Why not ground all air travel till the green thing is fixed. Because it is a farce. Nooooooo, can鈥檛 do that because the wealthy need to get around.

Registered
While trains are powered by electric motor s , diesel produces the electricity ! Just like this administration is changing the last administration policy , the next may do the same , A 15 year out prediction looks great to the greenies , but its not carved in stone !

Registered
Electric vehicles need battery systems like rechargeable drills, one system fits all. You get low on charge, pull in a power station and slap a new(exchange) battery in that is fully charged. You buy the car, and lease batteries from the power company. That way, they are responsible for the up front cost and ultimately the disposal of the toxic waste.

Registered
Electric vehicles need battery systems like rechargeable drills, one system fits all. You get low on charge, pull in a power station and slap a new(exchange) battery in that is fully charged. You buy the car, and lease batteries from the power company. That way, they are responsible for the up front cost and ultimately the disposal of the toxic waste.
The time it would take to slide out a battery pack and slide in a new one would be comparable to the time a fast charge would take to charge the old one.

The vehicle design would be limited by some kind of track that would allow the battery pack to slide out the side. This would require the floor to be higher and also add weight to the chassis. Potentially even weakening the structure in a crash.

Prius battery packs can be rebuilt and exchanged quite effectively. That is about as universal as it gets currently.

Registered
Aircraft can you say airplane last I knew they use fuel. Why not ground all air travel till the green thing is fixed. Because it is a farce. Nooooooo, can鈥檛 do that because the wealthy need to get around.
Well, "No Domestic Air Travel" is on their "New Green Deal" Manifesto...
Their answer to that is "Trains... lots and lots of trains"...
I can't believe they can say that like they're dead serious. Morons.

Registered
That's what I'm saying ,the design would have to be such that every car would take the same battery. Function before form. As an individual, you don't want a spaceship looking car that requires you to own your own batteries. They are forcing this on you, let the government and power companies own the system, and thus accept the responsibility and liability of their mandate. You only lease charged batteries. If you are willing to sacrifice design, form and performance, then you should accept driving a shoebox or golfcart to "save the planet".
This is the same bunch of crap from a different generation as the emission and fuel mileage mandates, that had auto builders chasing their tale. It is only recently that manufacturers have begun to get it right and fuel mileage has risen and emissions have dropped.
The "carbon" issue is just a means of control and access to our wallets.

Registered
You do realize that the government is going to end hot rods all together. No more souping up or modifying anything and you will be totally monitored so it will be easy for THEM to shut you down. So be good little boys and girls and follow the direction set for you. And if you don鈥檛.................

Registered
You do realize that the government is going to end hot rods all together. No more souping up or modifying anything and you will be totally monitored so it will be easy for THEM to shut you down. So be good little boys and girls and follow the direction set for you. And if you don鈥檛.................
Stay within the Lines the lines are your friends ....(some old movie I think ).....馃槥

the 'Duracell Project'
the sky is falling, the sky is falling
haven't hotrodders been saying that since the 30s?
you have a little big brother complex going on in there

the 'Duracell Project'
i expect the first ones to do this will be the otr trucking companies
it'll be quicker than filling a tank, push/pull, battery in one side out the other
big outfits may have their own facilities, while the independents will use a vendor

Registered
sky is falling, the sky is falling
haven't hotrodders been saying that since the 30s?
you have a little big brother complex going on in there

We are all a bunch of rebels

Registered
i expect the first ones to do this will be the otr trucking companies
it'll be quicker than filling a tank, push/pull, battery in one side out the other
big outfits may have their own facilities, while the independents will use a vendor
You do know your talking about moving battery packs weighing over 1000lbs right?
You can do this with fork trucks currently. But it usually involves a overhead crane.

Charging them more frequently even plugging them in over a mandated 30 minute and sleep break makes more sence then sliding around packs.

Wireless charging has the potential to be done going down a stretch of toll road. Just scaling up the parking barrier idea.

Registered
once electric vehicles become the new norm and start winning at all the major tracks, you'll understand better. i assume the next round of 58 truk will be electric, though i doubt i will be around for that one. battery and charging technology need to improve drastically, especially the charging end. i'm already an EV convert, have been for 10 years, my local vehicle is an 2003 club car 48v electric

View attachment 614012

and yes. it does donuts ;)

View attachment 614013
so would a wheel chair on that track!

the 'Duracell Project'
You do know your talking about moving battery packs weighing over 1000lbs right?
You can do this with fork trucks currently. But it usually involves a overhead crane.

Charging them more frequently even plugging them in over a mandated 30 minute and sleep break makes more sence then sliding around packs.

Wireless charging has the potential to be done going down a stretch of toll road. Just scaling up the parking barrier idea.
for an otr truck i'd assume a lot more than 1000lbs, not sure why that would be a problem
a hoist w/ winch on a truck could handle a couple at a time
the guys over at pirate4x4 would just smile at such a challenge

Registered
I am not saying it can not be done. Just might be more pain then it is worth.

In my mind it would run like this.

Pull up until a light tells you to stop.

Hit a switch and a air or electric actuated ram disconects the power.

Hit a button on the "station" and a arm and track with rollers extends before a electrmagnet latches onto the battery pack. The pack is pulled back into a carousel and another is rotated in place then the arm pushes that pack in before retracting.

You hit the switch to activate the ram and your good to go.

The problem is the frame or axle that would be in the way for this to work.

Registered

Click on above and scroll down to the "All-Electric Car Comparisons - US. Note Range and 0-60 times.
Multiply Peak Power (kW) by 1.341 to get Horsepower. Some of the numbers are really impressive. Enough to get Hot Rodder's adrenaline going. The Tesla is pricey but notice one has a 0-60 MPH time of 2.3 seconds. That is Killer!!!!

Registered

Click on above and scroll down to the "All-Electric Car Comparisons - US. Note Range and 0-60 times.
Multiply Peak Power (kW) by 1.341 to get Horsepower. Some of the numbers are really impressive. Enough to get Hot Rodder's adrenaline going. The Tesla is pricey but notice one has a 0-60 MPH time of 2.3 seconds. That is Killer!!!!
thats why trains use electric motors to drive the wheels. instant torque !

21 - 40 of 99 Posts