Hot Rod Forum banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Video shows change out of bad traction motor on csx engine.
After working on heavy equipment, I can appreciate the logistics of this.

·
the 'Duracell Project'
2,388 Posts
I am not saying it can not be done. Just might be more pain then it is worth.

In my mind it would run like this.

Pull up until a light tells you to stop.

Hit a switch and a air or electric actuated ram disconects the power.

Hit a button on the "station" and a arm and track with rollers extends before a electrmagnet latches onto the battery pack. The pack is pulled back into a carousel and another is rotated in place then the arm pushes that pack in before retracting.

You hit the switch to activate the ram and your good to go.

The problem is the frame or axle that would be in the way for this to work.
It could be that easy. Without the engine the whole bay is available for battery storage

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 4 bbl.
85 Posts
Every time someone mentions EV's I can't help but think about the Mercedes AA class:

1:18 has the solution for easy battery removal. 😈

Not that I plan on buying a new gm anyway...

·
Registered
425 Posts
I need to get into the business of converting classic cars to electric...

Does the "New Green Steal" subsidize converting an old car to electric?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Also, can someone invent a noise generator that would produce a sound similar to gas engine exhaust?
Maybe something that runs on alcohol or methanol, and creates explosions that are timed like a V8 (or engine of choice), and then you have resonators to tune the sound.
That would be pretty cool...

·
Registered
314 Posts

To even think of that makes my stomach turn. What would be the purpose nothing would be left of the “original experience”.

·
Registered
1964 Thunderbird, 390 4 bbl.
85 Posts
Anything that's any good?
Mechanical (of some sort), or Electronic Audio?
The new Bronco "Sport" is supposed to have a V8 sound going through the speakers all the time. Who knows how good it is.

Although people outside the vehicle would still hear the little 1.5 liter 3 cylinder turbo. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
314 Posts
The new Bronco "Sport" is supposed to have a V8 sound going through the speakers all the time. Who knows how good it is.

Although people outside the vehicle would still hear the little 1.5 liter 3 cylinder turbo. :rolleyes:

If you turn the radio volume up does it sound like open headers? LOL

·
Registered
425 Posts
Now that's pretty lame...
I was thinking more of some mechanical means of creating the same type of noise that a full "performance" exhaust would create.
Hearing a vehicle is a really good thing, especially for pedestrians.
So I was thinking more of the outside experience, rather than inside.
As racing electric cars increases, it's going to become apparent that the noise of racing is a big part of the spectator experience.
I'm sure they'll do something to make the cars make a certain amount of noise, but I was thinking that it would be cool to make something that sounds like a "real" engine.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts

Start here;

·
Registered
318 Posts
The engine sound in the stereo was originally designed as a sound cancelling idea, out of phase sound to reduce cabin noise levels. Maybe it got too quiet.

·
Registered
13,784 Posts
I doubt this well happen to the extent announcements may lead you to think. There is no question that city commuting will change to mostly electric in that you can drive to work, hook to charger all then go home and charge all night. Delivery vehicles that only out on about a 100 miles a day are candidates as well. Intercity will probably remain fuel burners or hybrids as any improvement here is needing better battery recharge technology than what is currently sitting on the horizon.

I rather think that working from home is going to greatly increase and resultant commuting will greatly decrease. You already see this with all the mom and pop businesses on EBay, etc.

World wide population is on a down trend moving well under the replacement number, It seems that most people have figured out that unlimited population growth isn’t going to work out with the current level of technology.

The times are a-changin.

Bogie

·
Registered
17 Posts
A European Coimpany invented a "Sound Convertor" a few years ago. You scroll thru the choices and push a button for the music or engine sound you want to hear....A thru Z....($100 for each letter of the alphabet )...The system sounds great though. On the other subject.....they won't "phase out" combustion engines....but they may TAX /PENALIZE them out of existence.

·
Rod...from a Chrysler?
5,183 Posts
On the other subject.....they won't "phase out" combustion engines....but they may TAX /PENALIZE them out of existence.
Interesting point.
The way I see it is that it will be the other way around.
Tax the electric cars and increase hydro rates for everyone, to build all the new plants/grid that will be required.
At present, there is no where near enough.
I heard news recently of rolling blackouts. WT?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Interesting point.
The way I see it is that it will be the other way around.
Tax the electric cars and increase hydro rates for everyone, to build all the new plants/grid that will be required.
At present, there is no where near enough.
I heard news recently of rolling blackouts. WT?

You are stating the obvious, why can’t others understand the infrastructure is total out of date for demand now. It will be worse with brown and black outs. Even in 20 years the total electrical grid in the USA will be deficient because it is not updated. Too much overhead ugly structure today. Unless things TOTALLY CHANGE the idea of total electrical transportation is a joke.

41 - 60 of 99 Posts