Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Slider in Wa.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out if there are more than one size brake drums used on Chevrolet dually? My 1988 Will not accept known Chevrolet "BUD" rims. Small bolt pattern, but will not fit over the drums. Please advise.
Ken

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
slider in wa said:
Trying to find out if there are more than one size brake drums used on Chevrolet dually? My 1988 Will not accept known Chevrolet "BUD" rims. Small bolt pattern, but will not fit over the drums. Please advise.
Ken
Ken,

I'm not entirely sure what the problem is - are you saying that the wheels fit over the hub but are hitting on the drum, or do they not fit over the hub? AC Delco claims that all 1974-2000 duallies use the same 13 x 3.5 drums, P/N 18B254. Bolt pattern on all of them is the same. Wheel bearings are also the same, which implies (but does not prove) that the hubs are the same.

·
Slider in Wa.
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dana 70

Do they take a different size rim?
Thanks

·
Old(s) Fart
6,016 Posts
slider in wa said:
Do they take a different size rim?
Thanks
Slider,

GM used the Dana 70 on 4WD duallies and the Corporate 14 bolt axle on 2WD duallies. Both use the same drums and the same wheels. The brake drums on the single wheel axles DO stick out quite a bit from the backside of the wheel, however. Also, as you noted in your other thread, there are two different widths of dually axles, the narrow one used on the cab-chassis trucks (those destined for utility bodies or flatbeds) and wider axles used on the dually pickups. This was so a sheet of plywood would still fit between the wheelwells.

Go to Rockauto.com or NAPAOnline.com and look at the pictures for SRW and DRW brake drums for a 1988 Chevy 3500. You'll see immediately how different they look.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.