Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, Working on my old 54 F100. Has a small block 406 Chevy in it, and a wiring harness from a 1970 Chevy C10. Still has an externally regulated alternator on it. Recently found out that it's not charging. Jumping the red to blue wires at the regulator plug indicates the alternator charges just fine. Pegs needle on multimeter. So I need to get another solid state regulator. At looking at other people's projects on the web, I noticed a lot of them have a capacitor plugged onto the side terminal of their regulators. Is this really necessary? What does it do? And there also seems to be lots of different manufacturers producing these regulators. Probably Chinese. Can anyone recommend a decent quality brand GM external regulator?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Here's an interesting article you might want to read. It talks about installing a resistor into the system, to work the idiot light.
Not sure if this is what you're talking about?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's an interesting article you might want to read. It talks about installing a resistor into the system, to work the idiot light.
Not sure if this is what you're talking about?
Thanks Camaro496, that was a big help. Through that article and others, I finally realized that the circuit actually requires a light bulb be inserted into the GEN light socket in order to excite the field. I never woulda thunkit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.