Hot Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a ’90 Chevy Silverado, would the factory relay work intermittent? I thought that a relay either work or not work?? I have a re-setable circuit breaker type fuse that kept tripping, then the engine died. I installed a new fuel filter and fuel pump and has 15 psi with 4 amps, but the breaker was still tripping. I was 200 miles from home so for a temporary fix, I by-passed the factor relay. I ran a new wire to the pump and installed a NAPA relay with an in-line 10 amp fuse under the hood. The 10 amp fuse didn’t blow and I was able to drive 200 miles back home. BTW this was a 3 day ordeal.
I’ll revert back to the factory relay and wiring. But would the relay be the cause of tripping the breaker?

·
Registered
420 Posts
check the connection at the fuel pump...if the terminals become corroded/loose they can cause a problem. That connector should be availabe at your local Napa

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Doc here,

Relays CAN become intermittent from poor seating in the socket base, burned and melted contacts, cold solder joints on the Socket Base, Coil overheat and shut down..but USUALLY for the most part, you are correct..They "Is" or they "Isn't"...

I'd suspect the resettable breaker if it were me..The operate similar to a flasher as to having a bimetallic strip that heats to a predetermined level of heat (Current) and then opens, and either resets on it's own, or you have to push the button when cool enough to reset..(it won't hold until cool)

I'd replace or swap that out first..see if it corrects the problem.

Be sure , as was said, your grounds at the tank are properly bonded, and the connector pins have not melted and vibrating around the plug making intermittent contact.

Doc :pimp:

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Doc, thanks for your reply. I'll check the ground and replace the factory relay as you've suggested. As for the resettable, that too will be replaced.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts