Hot Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - stuck at home with covid- so busy finishing up rearend. Im either daft or just bad at reading the pictures-

How do these looks? (original shims).. adding a posi unit- it seems ok- just a weekend warrior..

Send it?

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Automotive tire Stairs Automotive lighting Gear Wood

·
More for Less Racer
20,942 Posts
If the original pinion gear remained undisturbed, and all you did was add a positraction differential....then the pinion gear will need NO changes to shims.
That's assuming those gears were set up correctly prior to the carrier swap.....which might not be the case here??

Your only adjustments when changing just the carrier is backlash and bearing preload on the carrier bearings. You should never need to touch the pinion shims.
Ideally, you took a backlash measurement before you disassembled the old carrier out of the housing....and that same backlash number is where you want to be now. That should put the ring gear exactly back where it was originally.

Also, spin those gears through a couple dozen revolutions using one axle to spin the diff....to spread that compound out and get a better marking pattern.
Current pattern is too weak to really read well.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
eric original backlash was 6 thou- but i did swap gears a year ago and kinda rushed it- no issue.. dead quiet. I do try and load up the gears when rotating-

dropped the pinion and not the mark has moved toward the tip more - see here: the yellow stuff seems quite dry so might try some oil paint- but the transfer is a bit clearer..

Automotive tire Tread Wood Glove Tire

Automotive tire Tread Tire Wood Wheel

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
for a used gear that looks good---drive has a cut at the root and the face and the patterns are sorta centered heel to toe on both sides.

It it ran before OK then don't move it much, I didn't catch that first time

·
Registered
671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
got crush sleeve down to 13 inch pounds rolling on new bearings - very fortunate cos the wife was standing on the axle and we werent communication very well- either way its done..

To use the crush sleeve eliminator would i remove the crush sleeve, mic it and match size using the kit and shims?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts